LOGS

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
joddle

Post by joddle »

Whilst logs are not an issue for us, this year for the first time ever we have noticed a while raft of things missing.

We leave a 4 socket extension cable in each of the bedrooms so people can connect the many chargers for phones tablets etc - they all vanished this year.

We supply special switched plugs so people can control various items - they too have all gone this year.

Every year we put new high quality batteries in all the remotes. This year they have all been swapped for cheap or dead and decaying batteries - one so bad it was split and leaking.

Expensive LED bulbs have been swapped for cheap ones

We always supply a load of teaspoons as they are so useful - this year we are down to three left!

Up until now we have never needed to supply an inventory but now I think things will need to change!
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Is it possible, Joddle, that these items all went missing via just one set of guests?
(Should this discussion be in the members area???)
joddle

Post by joddle »

No idea if they all went at the same time - but seems likely they might have as no one has ever removed things before and many guests this year were repeat bookings. Seems a shame though as although these are not expensive things they are provided for the use of our guests.
Annew

Post by Annew »

I provide a starter basket (and chemical free firelighters) for the woodburners.

Thereafter I charge guests £2.50 per basket, all of which goes to our nominated charity which, this year, is the Devon Air Ambulance, but they need to collect it from the woodshed themselves.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
Running Chrissy

Post by Running Chrissy »

joddle wrote:
Expensive LED bulbs have been swapped for cheap ones
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Who the hell does a thing like that?!
joddle

Post by joddle »

Cornwall addict wrote:
joddle wrote: Expensive LED bulbs have been swapped for cheap ones
Cheapskates I suppose! - "let's get everything we can" mentality.

Can't think it would be more than one set of guests as most were really good repeat bookings - so have a good idea of who it may have been - If they every try and book again I will ensure they sign an inventory - which I have never had to do with any other guest in the past 9 years!
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

joddle wrote:
Cornwall addict wrote:
joddle wrote: Expensive LED bulbs have been swapped for cheap ones
Cheapskates I suppose! - "let's get everything we can" mentality.
We have this year finally decided to put in LED bulbs in order to try and reduce our monthly €400 energy bill. We are not so worried about the LEDs being stolen, more that they will get broken as they are of course quite expensive to replace. Because of this we have decided not to put LED bulbs into the bedside lamps as these often seem to get knocked over.

Since we now get much fewer bookings via agencies, we see much less things going missing. This has mostly been CDs removed and just the casings left behind, and DVDs disappearing (mostly miniseries!)

We have learned never to put anything of real value into a rental property and if an appliance breaks, we will usually replace with our own and buy new for ourselves. We've done this with the washing machine and TVs. Same with alot of the furniture, mostly our own from several years ago!

Actually, the guests last week managed to break the leg off an old sofa (a wedding present from my Dutch mother-in-law from the early 1990s), and we are now looking for something to replace it with. Trouble is our sofas are cream colour....that's the problem!
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

AngloDutch wrote: Trouble is our sofas are cream colour....that's the problem!
washable coloured throws?
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

Tivoli wrote:
AngloDutch wrote: Trouble is our sofas are cream colour....that's the problem!
washable coloured throws?
Thanks, Tivoli for the link. They deliver worldwide as well. We have two cotton throws bought many years ago now which are pretty worn, but haven't found anything to replace them with as yet.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

We provide unlimited logs FoC at both properties. We have no gas so it's a cheaper option than guests slamming our electric radiators. In reality i imagine they have the fire going with the rads and all windows open, but such is life!

We stayed in a lovely cottage in ireland a few weeks ago. Marred by an OTT agent that charged £20 for a small starter pack of logs. Spoilt the experience and made me sure to double down on making our two cottages as all inclusive as possible!

Obviously dependent on your competition and yield... and also if you have more efficient sources of heat like gas etc.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

Annew wrote:I provide a starter basket (and chemical free firelighters) for the woodburners.

Thereafter I charge guests £2.50 per basket, all of which goes to our nominated charity which, this year, is the Devon Air Ambulance, but they need to collect it from the woodshed themselves.
^Now that's got me thinking. Nice idea Annew :)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

We supply logs/kindling free of charge, we have never had to buy logs for 15 years although I do have to chop/spilt/stack them, I see it as a good form of exercise and we usually have at least a couple of years worth of seasoned hardwood/softwood logs on hand.

We do get the trees given free of charge and usually delivered, as well as off cuts of new timber which is used for sticks(kindling).