Sunshine and View Tax

For topics that are specific to Portugal, please go here.
Codliveroil

Sunshine and View Tax

Post by Codliveroil »

I know it's not an April Fools Joke only because it's the wrong time of year, but I hear that property taxes are to be raised on properties that are south facing, have lots of sun and have views!

Surely it is a joke...........right?
CSE

Post by CSE »

Heard or read? The former do not believe until something in writing. The latter needs a link
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

casasantoestevo wrote:Heard or read? The former do not believe until something in writing. The latter needs a link
Sorry, hearsay, a friend of the wife's who is in PT at the moment hoping someone could throw some light. I am busy googling trying to find out more.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Not such a stupid premise.

Property taxes are generally based on property values.
Properties with sea views in The Algarve generally have higher values.
Property values are revised periodically.

Therefore, by deduction properties with sea views MAY be subjected to higher property taxes.

But this is all total supposition and not based on anything tangible. Its just a way of whiling away a few quiet minutes before bedtime.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

e-richard wrote:Its just a way of whiling away a few quiet minutes before bedtime.
Hope this finds you before you fall victim to the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's

http://www.theportugalnews.com/news/day ... bery/39066
aasta

Post by aasta »

The English Portugal News reported on this a few weeks ago...and as a side mentioned that in Britian about 400 years ago there was such a tax imposed with the result that lots of people took to bricking up their windows...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This tax is still being contemplated also an increase on IVA for holiday lets...and B&B ...now that would be a royal drag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But since the tourist industry this year has created about 40,000 new jobs in Portugal and is booming....they might reconsider such harsh new taxes....
aasta
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

aasta wrote:
This tax is still being contemplated also an increase on IVA for holiday lets...and B&B ...now that would be a royal drag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But since the tourist industry this year has created about 40,000 new jobs in Portugal and is booming....they might reconsider such harsh new taxes....
"Might reconsider" I wish! I will not hold my breath though!

They refuse to reconsider removing the tolls on the A22 which killed the Spanish visiting the Algarve? Before the tolls the A22 was full of Spanish registered cars, our local town was filled with Spanish Visitors on the weekends, these days there are none! Do they realise how much Spanish Tourist revenue they have lost, no idea, they sit in their Lisbon offices dreaming of their fat pensions and rely on Siba to pass statistics to them, Siba is an antiquated joke.

Deaths have quadrupled on the EN125 because of the Tolls, and many students who traveled to the university in Faro from farther afield had to give up their studies. The revenue they collect hardly covers the cost of implementation or compensation that they have to pay the Petrol service stations which they encouraged to be built on the road.

Yes they did reconsider the IVA tax in Restaurants hiked from 12 to 23% in one hit during the peak of the recession, but not before it put thousands of restaurants and cafes out of business and thousands of job losses.

The PT Government translate "Austerity" as spend more and raise taxes regardless of consequences and fine and punish it citizens at every opportunity. Back to the good old days of "Salazar"!

Rant over :lol:
CSE

Post by CSE »

Some of the tax hikes are in response to a request by the EU to manage the books. Portugal and Spain are both in trouble with the EU and so far only Portugal has been fined.
We all have a limited about of money in our pockets and we can only spend that money once.

Drastic budgetary cuts and tax hikes are not working in Greece, and still, the same policy is pursued.

Having said that I found this which states tourism has increased and that IVA was lowered to 13% in the industry. Or do they only write about IVA lowered in restaurants?

http://expresso.sapo.pt/economia/2016-1 ... ar-emprego
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

casasantoestevo wrote:
Having said that I found this which states tourism has increased and that IVA was lowered to 13% in the industry. Or do they only write about IVA lowered in restaurants?
No that was just for restaurants. Current IVA on accommodation is 6%, it is this that they want to increase, together with the increase in property tax and an increase in accommodation rental tax from 15% to 35%
aasta

Post by aasta »

We have written to the "powers that be" in Lisbon and stated our concerns regarding this tax increase proposal and have suggested fining drivers who speed!!! Do not expect this to be more than a tiny drop in the bucket of tax proposals....but if everyone would write rather than just complain it might make a difference....
aasta
Armacao lover

Sunshine tax

Post by Armacao lover »

e-richard wrote:.
but this is all total supposition and not based on anything tangible. Its just a way of whiling away a few quiet minutes before bedtime.
Came into effect last monday.
http://portugalresident.com/portugal%E2 ... onal-press
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

I don't have any south facing windows, so hopefully I'd be exempt but if not then I'd need to reconsider the description of our villa if we had to remove the patio doors and brick up the spaces perhaps leaving a few eye holes available at varying levels depending on age and height. Of course there'd maybe also be a safety issue to consider with no direct view to the swimming pool. Oh a quick thought, perhaps a bricked up window could be replaced with a large cctv screen streaming the outside view?
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
aasta

Post by aasta »

Hello...my understanding is that it is only for new properties or properties being reevaluated....
aasta