End of Season Thoughts

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
PW in Polemi

End of Season Thoughts

Post by PW in Polemi »

Now we've waved goodbye to the last guests for this year and have started on the winter schedule of maintenance/upgrades/repairs, here are a few end of season thoughts (other than, yippee, washing,cleaning and ironing vastly reduced :lol: )

Firstly, the massive responsibility we have for our guests' enjoyment of their holidays. I can remember (years ago!) fetching brochures from the travel agent and spending many hours peering at the few small photos, poring over the descriptions – and re-reading them at intervals over the 3 months or so until the actual holiday. So how much more responsibility we feel if they book a whole year in advance ...

Secondly, goodies left behind by self-caterers seem to go in phases. For instance, one year it was predominantly paper goods – loo rolls and kitchen towel. Another year it was mostly oils and vinegars – olive or sunflower oils, and balsamic, malt or red wine vinegar. Tinned goods put in an appearance one year – tomatoes, tuna, sardines, chick peas, while this year it has been frozen items – peas, mixed veg and mini sausage rolls. All of this is in addition to the various supplies that I leave in the cupboards and bathrooms for guests to use.

Some guests arrive obviously stressed-out and pretty uncommunicative, leaving us wondering if they've picked the right place for them. A few days into their stay, they are like totally different people, chatty, relaxed and actually looking better, less pinched in the face.

Everybody's idea of their ideal holiday is different. Some just want to chill out and relax by the pool or on the veranda, some seem to spend all day every day out and about, while others mix and match, spending one day relaxing, the next day exploring. Some want to explore down narrow side roads into local villages and meet the locals, others are less enthusiastic and prefer to stick to main roads. Some seem to do all their own cooking, while others are on holiday to eat out every evening.

Some guests leave the cottage absolutely pristine (even including the shower screens!) while others leave so many toothpaste splats on the mirrors there isn't enough clean area to use for checking for mascara runs!

Isn't it lovely when you get a succession of couples who only use one bedroom and one bathroom rather than both, especially after the occasional couple who seems to make a point of using (and using up) everything provided, even down to sleeping in the double bed and both twin beds during a short stay.

Running a holiday let is hard work and you have to take the rough with the smooth, but it's such a relief when your guests are appreciative (verbally, in writing and, best of all, by returning). :lol: :lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Isn't it lovely when you get a succession of couples who only use one bedroom and one bathroom rather than both, especially after the occasional couple who seems to make a point of using (and using up) everything provided, even down to sleeping in the double bed and both twin beds during a short stay
I am only in my first season so don't have a lot of prior experience to go on, but much of this resonates with me, especially this bit! Nothing worse than expecting an easy changeover as it's only a couple, to find they have used all four beds, even the top bunk :shock:
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

:lol: :lol: We had a couple of let's this summer that used one less bedroom....oh joy! And we had a run of 4 or 5 guests that actually listened to our advice on how to use the dishwasher. I was ecstatic at not having to spend a couple of hours rewarding stuff.

Overall we had an excellent season with fab guests. There was only 1 we wouldn't welcome back, and that was down to lack of respect. For example their kids broke every inflatable, all the fishing nets, a third of the toys plus scattering the rest to the 4 corners of the garden. They never replaced one item and I spent an hour on changeover sorting the toys and beach stuff out. It wasn't a question of money either.....they had us book sunloungers and lunch at a beach club on their departure day where the sun loungers alone cost them over 120 euros!

My OMG moment was when some guests at our neighbours place locked themselves in the bedroom! I had to get a locksmith after failing to get them out. To add to the trauma they were attending a wedding (and it was my birthday, we had just started to head out for lunch when they called).
They wrote a lovely review!

We also welcomed our youngest guest ever - 8 wks old. And our oldest at 89 (about to turn 90 in a couple of weeks). Mr M really enjoyed talking to him about his war experiences.

Overall it was a tough year to sell all our weeks even though Ibiza had one of its best ever years....but I managed it and we made as much as the previous year. For the first time I used an agent who filled a sticky June week....and they wanted to come back in Sept but we were booked.

So.....roll on 2017.

Mousie
x
p.s. I also had the guest I checked in to a villa, and the following day when I went round for something the husband asked me to tell the owner he would like to buy it!
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
Essar

Post by Essar »

Our best guests this year where the ones who forgot to come! 8)
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

That's a bit sad and reminds me of the couple who split up just before the Valentine weekend booking and he stayed at home (weeping?) and only told me because I followed up the no show. She had dumped him 😢
Tivoli

Post by Tivoli »

Apart from three nights, we were full back-to-back from 3rd May till 9th October. Our first guest, a woman on her own, managed to complete 19 litres of wine in 14 nights. At one point she phoned to tell us the gas had run out and when I pointed out that the ceramic hob actually ran on electricity she said "Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone!" She was great! We had a young couple visit for their second time, the previous year they were fine but this year they lived on cocktails and broke so much stuff! If they come again I'll make sure to put out the second best of everything. Everybody has had a great time and so everybody has been happy and complimentary. A brilliant season!
COYS

Post by COYS »

I think I need a few more guests like Essar's!
We've made some major changes over the past few years that seem to be working out (fingers firmly crossed) so far.
This year saw adequate weeks booked, reasonable wear & tear, guests generally well behaved, only nominal mishaps & maintenance team ok, if a little uninspiring.
Per the previous dozen years or so, my overwhelming feeling is along the lines of; thank **** that's over!
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
gozokerry

Re: End of Season Thoughts

Post by gozokerry »

PW in Polemi wrote:
Some guests arrive obviously stressed-out and pretty uncommunicative, leaving us wondering if they've picked the right place for them. A few days into their stay, they are like totally different people, chatty, relaxed and actually looking better, less pinched in the face.

Some guests leave the cottage absolutely pristine (even including the shower screens!) while others leave so many toothpaste splats on the mirrors there isn't enough clean area to use for checking for mascara runs!

Isn't it lovely when you get a succession of couples who only use one bedroom and one bathroom rather than both, especially after the occasional couple who seems to make a point of using (and using up) everything provided, even down to sleeping in the double bed and both twin beds during a short stay.

Running a holiday let is hard work and you have to take the rough with the smooth, but it's such a relief when your guests are appreciative (verbally, in writing and, best of all, by returning). :lol: :lol:
Yes, it is nice to see the change in people, arrival/departure from tense fraught, maybe post argument to relaxed and serene, job done!

We have only one bedroom but the same principle applies to pots pans and plates, some use everything, some use nothing at all!

And for us a round of applause for the younger guests who generally make so much effort leave the place so clean.

We do appreciate the challenges and especially like the appreciation, we have had so many wonderful personal, unique reviews, thanks to all our guests of 2016!
Kerry

As Hamlet said ;-"There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so"
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Has anybody else noticed that if a returnee has a break from staying in your holiday accommodation (for various reasons like wanting to visit relatives in Australia, or go somewhere different like Vietnam for a special celebration), then they are unlikely to revert to being your returnees after their break. Obviously, the memories of the pleasure and relaxation of their holidays at your accommodation fade over time.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Yes, I've found that too. One of my regular couples went to Africa volunteering. They're back at work now, but not back at my place, and so far haven't contacted M either, who put them in touch with me in the first place. He used to write a blog as well, and that doesn't have much on it either.
aasta

Post by aasta »

it a bit different running a B&B...lots more direct daily contact with the guests.... lots of smiling!!!....so we are "super" grateful for the end of our season coming next week-end and for the first time off since 3 March!!!! Though it is most rewarding when guests on their departure book for the same time next year. This happened 3 times this year and we were amazed!!!.....since had not ever happened in the previous almost 5 years in business...
aasta
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Please can someone explain the concept of “End of Season” to me? :cry:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

With a summer and a ski season, I don't really have one either. Although Oct/Nov are usually very quiet, I'm still processing bookings for the winter season.
Essar

Post by Essar »

greenbarn wrote:Please can someone explain the concept of “End of Season” to me? :cry:
Well, I'll 'ave a go...

A Holiday rentals in sunnier climbs - when people stop coming until next season starts which is usually when they start coming again.

B Holiday rentals elsewhere - nerverer 'appens.

C Fashion industry - when the skinny birds start wearing more clothing in the autumn usually.

D Avians - about September when they all bugger off to sunnier climbs - go back to A.

E Ursines - about now when they dig a big hole or find a cave and have a long nap.

F Canines - dependifies upon the bitch, but usually when they stop scrating at the door to go out on the town.

G Cervines - about Easterish when the boys stop fighting and are too buggered to do much else. Also Now if they are south of the line that goes round middle earth.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Ah - thanks Essar. That’s cleared that up then.

I’m a category ‘B’ .
:cry: :cry: :cry: