ELECTIC SHOWERS

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Ludwig

ELECTIC SHOWERS

Post by Ludwig »

One guest recently complained about the flow in our electric shower, which I admit isn't great. I'm reluctant to install a pump because the old pipework may not take it but can anyone recommend an electric shower that actually delivers a decent shower? (We have a combination boiler but running just off mains pressure may not be sufficient because the bathroom in question is on the first floor). Many thanks
CSE

Post by CSE »

Does your cold water reach the same spot? If so then the hot water should too.
What do you use the combi boiler for if the shower is electric?
Electric heaters for showers are not good at giving decent flows because if you want hot water then the unit restricts the flow more than when you want cold water.
If you added a pump then it would have to be some how wired in not to work when the tap is closed.

If your pipes can take mains pressure then it be able to take the pressure of a pump. If not the pump could end up taking someone's hair out!
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

Many thanks for the reply!

We have a downstairs shower that runs off the mains downstairs (and pressure is sufficient for a good shower) but we inherited the electric shower upstairs I assume because the mains pressure would not be adequate.

Yes cold water can reach the first floor (there is a bath).
Nightowl

Post by Nightowl »

There are shower heads available now that are ecological and are designed to use less water (and need less water pressure) because the head is aerated. Therefore the water feels like it's a power shower but it isnt'. Win win...

Try doing a google search for 'low water pressure eco shower head' or similar.

A lot cheaper than installing a pump...
Nightowl
Forever going one step forwards and two
backwards......
EdinburghCityApartments

Post by EdinburghCityApartments »

"Edinburgh" who had his bathroom done recently installed a Mira Airboost shower. Also has a pump but the Airboost setting boosts the pressure by around a 1/3. Seems to work well...
CSE

Post by CSE »

Electric shower downstairs and bath upstairs?
If the bath is upstairs the hot water reaches there so there in no real need to use an electric one too.(?)
The last ES we used was a few years ago in a Lake District B&B. Made a lot of noise, so did the ones in the room adjoining and upstairs. Water was effectively a dribble even compare with our own showers. That was working on mains water.
Our water supply is from our own well which is pumped to underground tanks that are located higher than the house to give some pressure to the system. So we do not do so badly.
If you take the electric shower out then it will obviously leave a hole in the tiling!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We were very pleased with an Aqualiser electric shower which incorporated a mini pump; it was really effective and had great pressure almost as good as my mains-pumped power shower.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I wonder if folks are thinking flow and pressure are related.
Maybe read this.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5533714_water ... ssure.html
Ludwig

Post by Ludwig »

The bath is upstairs (with the electric shower). The shower that operates off mains pressure (satisfactorily) is downstairs.
My assumption is that an electric shower was installed upstairs by the previous owners because the mains pressure would be inadequate given the elevation.
The aquiliser with mini pump sounds like a possibility...
Many thanks all!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They may have installed the electric shower before the combi (like my parents).
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

Ludwig wrote:... My assumption is that an electric shower was installed upstairs by the previous owners because the mains pressure would be inadequate given the elevation. ...
It would be very unusual (if not impossible) for an electric shower to be fed with anything other than mains pressure cold water. Clearly your mains pressure is adequate.

You have two possible solutions;

Heat the (cold) water more quickly (ie have a much more powerful electric shower, which may require upgrading your wiring) so that your flow rate improves.

or;

Heat the cold water by another (more effective) means (such as your combi-boiler, which will require a certain amount of re-plumbing as you will need hot and cold feeds to the shower and a mixer valve).