Small Single beds

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
sas401

Small Single beds

Post by sas401 »

We bought two new beds last year, 2 x small singles (2ft6") to replace two wooden beds as it would make life easier for me to make the beds. Bought them with memory foam mattresses which I thought looked and felt quite good. Have just had one guest complain that it has sunk in the middle - on inspection found that the actual base had snapped in the middle and the rest of the top of the divan base was very sunk down.

Had to go out and buy an emergency divan to do the job for the next guests. Now thinking of changing both beds again to something that will last - any thoughts or ideas? Is wooden frame better to last or should a divan with a decent mattress be the solution? Any recommendations would be most welcome, it has become a headache I didnt need!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Whatever you buy, the frame needs to be very strong. People (both adults and children) will behave differently on holiday and think it's ok to use your beds as a trampoline, as well as throwing cases and luggage on to them. Get the biggest beds you can if adults are going to use them as well as children.
loveka

Post by loveka »

I have just bought zip and link beds from hotel contract beds.

As you can turn them into a king or superking it widens your market considerably. I went for 3 foot singles, so adults would be happy in them as well as children. They make up a super king.

But I reckon even if your room is too small for a super king, you could get 2 small singles which convert to a king.

They are excellent quality for the price, and they deliver very quickly.
sas401

Post by sas401 »

Thanks loveka, it sounds like a good idea. We only have the room for two small singles or one double so went with the two singles but see that a zip link bed could be a good idea.
Are they simply called hotel contract beds? or do you have a website for them?
loveka

Post by loveka »

Do a search for hotel contract beds and they will come up! Mattisons also do them at similar prices.

Of course all bed retailers do them too, but I think the hotel ones a better quality for the price, based on what I have read.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

To strengthen them up, measure them and get a sheet of plywood (Doesn't have to be very thick or heavy, 4mm or 6mm is more than enough) cut to size for you and place them onto the frame / divan with mattress on top. You could if possible just put in 4 screws just to ensure it doesn't move. Works a treat. You should get away with one 8' X 4' sheet of hardboard at roughly £8 cut inc VAT.

I would do it even if you do decide to buy new, it's cheap to do and makes a big long term difference.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I absolutely agree with akwe-xavante's idea to strengthen/reinforce the bed bases - no matter the size of bed.

We buy standard bed frames and mattresses but OH builds a custom-made bed base with strong timber or plywood as suggested above.

You never know what people will get up to when they go to bed ..............