Saniflow toilet

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
loveka

Saniflow toilet

Post by loveka »

We are having an en suite installed, and the plumber has said the only option is a saniflow.

Has anyone got one of these? I am worried about the noise, especially for the next door neighbours.

Thanks!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Whenever macerator type toilets have been mentioned in the context of a holiday let, the response seems to be to avoid as they are very far removed from guest-proof.

Hopefully others with direct experience may post, although from memory some of the tales require a strong stomach to read.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

My mother has one if these in her house - I have to say, even though I know it'll make a noise, it still catches me out every time. It often activates while you're still on the toilet, and it is loud. Youngest nephew, who sees Granny several times a week, stil refuses to use it, choosing to run upstairs to the 'normal' toilet, each time.

So, in my opinion, while okay for a second loo in a private house, I wouldn't install one in a holiday let where people aren't used to them, if at all possible.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

We had one in one our our guest bedrooms in the UK.

You don't want to know the details - no, trust me, you don't - but we had one very memorable incident when it exploded all over the bathroom and the library next door and the guest, at 6am one morning.

Never again.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

French Cricket wrote:We had one in one our our guest bedrooms in the UK.

You don't want to know the details - no, trust me, you don't - but we had one very memorable incident when it exploded all over the bathroom and the library next door and the guest, at 6am one morning.

Never again.
I just tracked down the very thread:
http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic ... =macerator
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

greenbarn wrote:

Never again.

What search criteria did you us to find it - just interested!!?
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

greenbarn wrote:

Never again.
Eek! Now worried about my mum's one... any idea what caused the explosion, French Cricket?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

vacancesthezan wrote:
greenbarn wrote:

Never again.

What search criteria did you us to find it - just interested!!?
I just put macerator into the forum Search facility at the top of the page; it’s not the best Search function though it worked for that.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Ha ha - that was the one!!

What caused the explosion? Blockage. And what goes in (and had been going in for some time, but going nowhere, if you see what I mean) must come out ... as it did :lol:
COYS

Post by COYS »

The latest Saniflo range should just cut out at the pump in case of blockage(s) rather than explode. You'd soon know as the pan would back up after 1 failed cycle.
They're ok if you have limited installation options but you have to be certain not to flush anything other than toilet tissue (& waste obviously) No wet/baby wipes, make up wipes, sanitary or contraceptive product, dental floss, kitchen towel & so on.
I wouldn't fancy my chances getting guests to stick to it though & 'servicing' a breakdown is grim.
And yes, I know from personal experience :shock:
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

No wet/baby wipes, make up wipes, sanitary or contraceptive product, dental floss, kitchen towel & so on.
It's a loo, not a bin!!!!
COYS

Post by COYS »

zebedee wrote:
No wet/baby wipes, make up wipes, sanitary or contraceptive product, dental floss, kitchen towel & so on.
It's a loo, not a bin!!!!
Indeed it is....... & Saniflo macerators are supplied with a nice big sticker advising the end user what not to flush (see above)
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

... and hair (from a shower) slowly destroys the spindle seal, wrecking the motor. But, there is a hotel version of the Saniflo which is supposed to be hair-proof, and everything else-proof. I don't have experience of that model though so I can't vouch for it.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Yep, a good flush beats a full house every time................ :lol:
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
oasiscouple

Re: Saniflow toilet

Post by oasiscouple »

loveka wrote:We are having an en suite installed, and the plumber has said the only option is a saniflow.

Has anyone got one of these? I am worried about the noise, especially for the next door neighbours.

Thanks!
I had one installed in my previous holiday cottage in order to have an upstairs bathroom. Being a 300 year old stone house it was the only option for the WC. The noise wasn't too bad and only lasted a few seconds. I put a notice up regarding its use and what not to flush into the toilet but sure enough it became blocked the first summer. I cleared it myself and found the cause being mashed up cotton, pretty obvious what it was. The guests apologised and said they hadn't seen the notice. So I changed the notice adding that the charge to call out a plumber to clear any blockage would be 150€ charged against their deposit. Seemed to focus the mind as we had no more blockages.
Honi soit qui peu y boit