Security Deposit, the old wiggle out chestnut

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Security Deposit, the old wiggle out chestnut

Post by Sam V »

An enquiry yesterday very interested a 7 night booking early April next year:

'Would it be possible to pay the refundable security with a check? Or maybe from Marchs’ wages?'

I do ask for the final balance with security deposit 8 weeks before arriva, all the details were sent in an email yesterday, and I only accept cheques with a £5 admin fee, she probably means for me to hold the cheque and not cash it. I also have a key to post (usually about a 2-3 weeks before) and arrival pack with address and map, only once everything is paid do I send these. I was thinking of saying she could pay minimum four weeks before but that won't be 'March's wages'. I also don't refund until I've received the key back in the post.
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi, I was just wondering about your charge of £5 admin fee for a cheque.
My understanding is we cannot charge more for processing card payments than we actually pay, and the principle is the same. Surely your bank does not charge you £5 to process a cheque???
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Sam, I read that enquiry as trying to make sure that you do accept cheques - as a lot of UK businesses no longer do so. I suggest you reply in the affirmative, and specify WHEN you should receive the cheque, the amount (including your extra fee) and point out that the cheque WILL be banked on receipt, and the damages deposit will only be refunded following return of the keys.

You set your business up the way you wanted it to run, so why let a prospective guest change your operation. Remember, if they were booking a holiday via a tour operator, they would not be able to change the payment terms. :roll:

If they back out, there's still plenty of time to find another guest to replace this prospective one, surely?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

The bank may not charge the fee but I guess you're entitled to take into account your time and petrol etc in driving to a bank.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

PW in Polemi wrote:Sam, I read that enquiry as trying to make sure that you do accept cheques
I read it that she wants to pay by a cheque in the hope it won't be cashed, which is of course a pointless exercise. The referral to paying from March wages is also trying to minimise her time without the security deposit in her bank.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We take the security deposit 2 weeks before arrival, often by cheque, but it is made totally clear that there must be cleared funds in our account before we hand over the keys.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I take Paypal payment 2 weeks before arrival, or M can take it in cash. But there is no need for me to post keys etc. PP will refund the fees if you return the cash to the guest within 60 days.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

She's not French, is she? It's absolutely the norm here to provide a cheque as a security deposit which is never cashed (unless there's damage) - it's simply held then returned on or after departure.

But I don't read this guest as wanting to provide an uncashed cheque - just asking whether she can pay the deposit by cheque (lots of places don't accept cheques now - us included - so she has a valid reason for asking).
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

An uncashed cheque is just a piece of paper, is it not?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

It is very difficult to cancel a French cheque once it is written.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

No she's not French, just pushy. Whilst I was mulling over my reply and trying to enjoy a breakfast out with my husband, doing the dry cleaner run, buying cough meds for our daughter, etc, etc she was emailing me for a specific reply to her cheque deposit. Then on our return home, while I was giving our Airbnb cottage guest our spare front door key as he had lost his one along with his Raybans, then the family with three kids turned up to view our daughters trampoline no longer required, she emailed again asking if I could reply as she wanted to book flights before the price went up and could they check in before our time and out after!

Anyway, I finally replied. I decide to say I no longer accept cheques, it's not listed as a payment option in my email anyway, it used to be (plus fee) until recently, I said that as I need cleared full payment before I email the arrival pack and post the key so I would accept the security deposit 30 days before arrival instead of 8 weeks. I also said that she could check in early only if I don't have a same day check out as I stil have dates available before her arrival, and she can check out later as I don't have guests arriving until the following day.

I've heard nothing since. I'm not particularly bothered if she doesn't book, those dates will probably book out in the meantime by a more complient guest!
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com