Safe/cost effective temp for vacant property over winter?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
jazzuk777

Safe/cost effective temp for vacant property over winter?

Post by jazzuk777 »

What temp should we set the thermostat to for our property over winter?

We have a damp issue (posted on elsewhere here!) that will need treating too and obviously it will need drying out as a result. So what temp should we set to help with damp and what temp once damp is gone for future winters?

Obviously we don't want a huge bill either from the energy company or from increased damp issues.

Thanks
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Dehumidifiers are better than heating for dealing with damp. The temperature setting will depend on whether you are draining the water in the house. If not, then you have to comply with your insurance company terms and conditions - there will be a condition that the heating has to be kept to a certain temperature during the winter months when the property is unoccupied.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

My insurer requires that the place is heated to a minimum 15 degrees between Dec and Feb or that the water is drained down.

As I have sporadic winter bookings draining down is not practical and to be honest the cottage takes so long to warm through again if it cools down much below this that it is sensible to comply and I would heat to this level even if the insurer didn't ask for it.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I left my property with heating on a frost setting one year - never again. When we had the extreme winter of minus 10 temps, even in Norfolk, I arrived to frozen pipes. It took 24 hours to defrost, but fortunately before the pipes burst. I now keep it at approx 15 degrees and don't drain down as it's impractical.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Obviously we don't want a huge bill
This one is easy: Don't be a pelican.

I'll get me coat.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

newtimber wrote:Dehumidifiers are better than heating for dealing with damp. The temperature setting will depend on whether you are draining the water in the house. If not, then you have to comply with your insurance company terms and conditions - there will be a condition that the heating has to be kept to a certain temperature during the winter months when the property is unoccupied.
How do you deal with emptying them though?
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

jazzuk777 wrote: How do you deal with emptying them though?
Our insurers insist that we inspect all long term empty properties (or get someone else to do so) at least once a week - so that should be sufficient?
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

newtimber wrote:
jazzuk777 wrote: How do you deal with emptying them though?
Our insurers insist that we inspect all long term empty properties (or get someone else to do so) at least once a week - so that should be sufficient?
Not sure we'll be able to do that :/
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

We have a dehumidifier in one of our properties and we have it on the draining board in the kitchen, a tube attached sends the water down the drain. It works well and keeps the house dry.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

Pendragon wrote:We have a dehumidifier in one of our properties and we have it on the draining board in the kitchen, a tube attached sends the water down the drain. It works well and keeps the house dry.
A lot of them don't seem like they would be able to do that?
COYS

Post by COYS »

jazzuk777 wrote:
Pendragon wrote:We have a dehumidifier in one of our properties and we have it on the draining board in the kitchen, a tube attached sends the water down the drain. It works well and keeps the house dry.
They should, thats what a dehumidifier does.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

COYS wrote:
jazzuk777 wrote:
They should, thats what a dehumidifier does.
The ones I've seen seem to just have a collection tray/pot to be emptied and cut out when it is full...
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

jazzuk777 wrote:The ones I've seen seem to just have a collection tray/pot to be emptied and cut out when it is full...
Yes, ours does that too, but the container holds about 5 litres before the machine switches off. Once the air is drier, the whole property will feel warmer inside. Plus, of course, while the dehumidifier is running, it churns out a certain amount of warm air too. :D
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

PW in Polemi wrote:
jazzuk777 wrote:The ones I've seen seem to just have a collection tray/pot to be emptied and cut out when it is full...
Yes, ours does that too, but the container holds about 5 litres before the machine switches off. Once the air is drier, the whole property will feel warmer inside. Plus, of course, while the dehumidifier is running, it churns out a certain amount of warm air too. :D
Given our current damps, problem my worry is that 5l won't really be enough, and we won't be up there every week to empty it. Not sure currently how often we will be there, but we can't really get up there every weekend. May be able to ask some friendly contractors if they could do this for us maybe, but not sure.
COYS

Post by COYS »

I'm fairly sure that even domestic models will have the option of connecting a tube/hose for continuous drainage as well as the reservoir. Ebac manufacture a wide range of such units.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.