Duvet tog rating

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Jenster

Duvet tog rating

Post by Jenster »

I need to buy new duvets for my rental, and am debating the best tog rating for year round comfort. I thought about a '3 in 1' system where you have a 4.5 and 10.5 tog that can be put together to make an extra warm 15 tog in the winter if needed. I guess that would cover all the bases but is it a bit of a faff for people to change to what they want? Maybe it's better to go for a 10.5 tog with an extra throw or blanket? But then I'm worried some would be too hot in summer - I know I prefer a 4.5 tog when its very warm. Any thoughts much appreciated!

Thanks
Jenny
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I didn't want the bother involved of having one to store so I went for 13.5 (80% or 90% down) and most of the year this is fine.

In the bottom drawer of each bedroom I leave a top sheet and fleece blanket/bed. For when it is exceptionally hot (for England) I leave them to decide how they want it. Some Americans want a top sheet anyway with a duvet (they think we might not wash the covers between lets as that happens with dry cleanable ones in America, apparently). This also has the effect of making the duvet less warm as it can't snuggle round you.

When it is exceptionally cold (although they have the option of heat on 24 hours) they have the fleece, other throws and a bedspread to add.

Of course I am aware that some people are allergic to feathers but they can let me know and I will rustle up something else (it has happened once in 11 years of letting though). I do think it makes a duvet much more luxurious and snuggly.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I love duvets but ....
there are many people (OH included) who cannot regulate their temperature with a duvet. It is an "all or nothing" warmth so if the duvet (of whatever tog) is too warm, throw it off and get cold.

I don't know about these "3 in 1" systems, but would it be possible for you to have the winter weight duvet on the bed in the winter, with the other (covered) duvet in the wardrobe for use either as well as or instead of, if the one duvet is the wrong warmth for your guest? Yes, I know this doubles up on laundry of duvet covers, but at least you know if the duvet has been used, it's not been used "bare" i.e. uncovered, necessitating much laundering of duvet itself.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

FelicityA wrote:Some Americans want a top sheet anyway with a duvet (they think we might not wash the covers between lets as that happens with dry cleanable ones in America, apparently). This also has the effect of making the duvet less warm as it can't snuggle round you.
I ALWAYS use a top sheet. Only once has a guest slept on top of the top sheet and under the duvet. The rest of my guests have slipped (and slept :D ) between the sheets, and used whatever combination of covers they want - usually it's the empty duvet cover acting as a lightweight bedspread, with lightweight blankets as a back-up but the duvet itself comes out in the shoulder months.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of leaving a sheet and blanket in the bottom drawer for if its very warm. I also get the 'all or nothing' thing, I tend to get that if the duvet is too hot for the season which is why I'd like to get it right. Having two covered duvets is also an option - I don't mind the laundry but I'm not so keen on doubling up on changing the covers every week!
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

I cant stop linking "TOG ratings" to Rhod Gilberts sketch on the matter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmx1vMouUt8
What would Plato do ?
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I don't think you can win!

I went for 13.5 tog here in North Wales as it can get chilly at night even in the summer.

First ever guests complained they were too hot!

I now have 10.5 on the kingsize over the summer and switch it to the heavier one in the autumn. I still have the 13.5 togs on the singles and everyone seems happy with that.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Cymraes wrote: I still have the 13.5 togs on the singles and everyone seems happy with that.
Ah, that may explain why I seem to have happy guests. They get single duvets on the super king as it is two mattresses. A remarkable number comment that they are going to go home and set up their own beds in that way (Austrian twins) as neither has suffered the other's heating preference (electric blankets as well, I forgot to say)!
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I bought a 12 tog one for the apartment from Ikea. I don't have a lot of room to store extras, so it was all or nothing. It was too hot even for winter, so I sold it to M for her new rental (an older less well insulated place), and bought the 7.5 one. It is perfect for us, and we've had no complaints. There's a bedspread in the cupboard if anyone is cold enough to need it.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Crumbs. My guests must be warm blooded. I have 4.5 tog in the summer and 10.5 in the winter. There are extra blankets available but don't think they are really used at all.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I am a cold bod, but even I couldn't cope with a 13.5 duvet. 10.5 max.
Boomhulay

Post by Boomhulay »

kyreniagirl wrote:Crumbs. My guests must be warm blooded. I have 4.5 tog in the summer and 10.5 in the winter. There are extra blankets available but don't think they are really used at all.
That's what we have, the 4.5 tog ones fold up quite small, so we just store them in a laundry bag in a cupboard. They don't take up a lot of room and higher tog ones would be too hot in the summer.

I bought new bedspreads for one bedroom, which are like the old fashioned, padded 50's eiderdowns and it has the thickness of a 10.5 tog. For that bed, I also use a top sheet and a few people have said they like the bed set up like that (especially Americans).

Interesting that I too have had a few Americans comment about the beds in the UK not having top sheets and some really do think that the duvet covers aren't washed each time!
marsh frog

Post by marsh frog »

10.5 tog all year round (south coast property) Never had a complaint whatever the season
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/marshviewcottage
If you're fond of sand dunes and salty air....
Martha

Post by Martha »

I would think that in the UK in a warm house you could just use one, and have an extra warm throw as an option. We have the 3 in 1 system here and it's useful, but the temperature variation is much wider here, and the big ones ARE a bit of a pain to store in summer.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks again for the suggestions. I think I will go with 10.5 tog ones as they are supposed to be for year round and will provide an extra blanket/throw for extra cold nights. If we have a hot summer I may buy 4.5 tog ones later but I will wait and see if we have any complaints from guests first.