Duvet tog rating

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I do find that the synthetic ones get too hot as they don't breathe like the natural ones so I am not surprised that people find 13.5 a bit over the top. I don't think these ratings are at all comparable between the two types. I am never too warm in my 13.5 down one, except in high summer when I use a sheet and just push the duvet down or off.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Jenster wrote:Thanks again for the suggestions. I think I will go with 10.5 tog ones as they are supposed to be for year round and will provide an extra blanket/throw for extra cold nights. If we have a hot summer I may buy 4.5 tog ones later but I will wait and see if we have any complaints from guests first.
I think you're right to go for something in the middle, you have the best chance of suiting the majority of your guests. To be honest, I really don't think you can win with bedding... everyone is so individual in their choices and unless your 2 bed cottage has a small warehouse attached to it, storage is going to be a problem if you choose to supply every option.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

FelicityA wrote:I do find that the synthetic ones get too hot as they don't breathe like the natural ones so I am not surprised that people find 13.5 a bit over the top. I don't think these ratings are at all comparable between the two types. I am never too warm in my 13.5 down one, except in high summer when I use a sheet and just push the duvet down or off.
Yes you could be right. I know I would be far too hot in a synthetic 10.5 in the summer but have never tried a natural one due to allergies. Probably there is a difference in the breathability.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I go with a synthetic 10.5 tog and my properties are in Norfolk. I leave a blanket in the wardrobe for extra warmth if needed. No complaints yet... :)
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

I'd definitely go with the 10.5 , plus some sort of fleece, blanket available for winter and maybe if it was a really hot sleepless-night type of summer (do we get those in England or is it just the childhood memories coming back?) a sheet for guests to use.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

I'd definitely go with the 10.5 , plus some sort of fleece, blanket available for winter and maybe if it was a really hot sleepless-night type of summer (do we get those in England or is it just the childhood memories coming back?) a sheet for guests to use.
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

We have 9.5 tog for the winter in our ski chalet and 4.5 for the summer. The duvet not in use is kept in drawers, or big plastic bags, under the beds so it is possible to add the other one on in the winter but I don't think anyone does. We have our 'very own' duvet for when we are there and that is Hungarian goose down and only 4.5 tog and we use that all year round as the place is really very warm. It does mean that there are 12 duvets (16 if you count the bunk room that we keep locked and just for personal use) and its amazing how often these duvets walk round the building and are found in the wrong rooms.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I provide 4.5 and 10 tog. I leave the one that is not in use with a cover on so the guest can swap duvets easily.

I find that it is very warm in my cottage bedroom so personally like the lighter duvet for most of the year when I stay there..

A visitor from Australia told me she used both duvets.

I also try to leave a flat sheet - especially during the summer.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Hells Bells wrote:I am a cold bod, but even I couldn't cope with a 13.5 duvet. 10.5 max.
Well I hate duvets. in winter I need sheets and four plus blankets!

Jonathan
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

As I've noticed an increase of winter bookings the past couple of years and I think it's time to invest in duvets for these colder months. I also have a good quantity of fleece blankets which are now also past their best so if I get duvets I may not have to buy so many new blankets.

My 3 bedrooms each have optional twin (90cm) or double (superking) beds so I'm erring toward the Austrian style of twin duvets rather than having to also invest in superking duvets and twins.

I'm also wondering if I'm going down this route;

Do I use the duvets all year, and if so what tog? In the summer we could use just duvets and in winter, duvets plus blankets. Or just stick with duvets for winter season, but what tog for winter?

I also have a good supply of single sheets to use as top sheets as double beds are used more than singles, I also think some doubles are about due for replacement but may not have to if I go duvet all season, but with single duvets would I use single sheets as topsheets or doubles? Plus in theory the duvets covers only need changing on changeover with the sheets being replaced on midstays, so with duvet covers I'm not sure if I'd need a set of two or three, or maybe a set of two plus a couple extra (15 total) just in case of the occasional accident. Same with duvets, set of two or just 8 so two spare to replace/rotate, I think it'd be easier for the cleaners to only have two a time to take to laundry
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

In Cornwall I have 2 types of duvet, 10.5 and 4.5, plus extra blankets and throws. In my Visitor notes I say they can mix and match according to the weather and their needs. I don't have top sheets, never been asked for them. I use the higher quality microfibres duvets which can be easily washed.

I'm an off-site owner and I know that the laundry is not always done on time, plus some goes missing from time to time. I therefore keep 4 sets of linen/duvets for each bed - one on, one being laundered, one spare, and one emergency. Might be OTT but means I never have to panic. ( Thinking about it, the laundry might be delayed because they know there are 4 sets, but who knows!)

I'm fortunate in having plenty of storage space plus a large lockable airing cupboard. Must be more difficult to organise in smaller properties.
The best things in life are free
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Thanks Giraffe, but my place is in Portugal so a different climate to accommodate. No way could we store 4sets as we have effectively 3 double beds and six twins = laundry mountain!

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I would definitely stick with the singles then.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

You certainly have a challenge Sam V. I agree with Hells Bells - all singles would be easier to manage. You will need far fewer spares. On the other hand, your laundry costs may increase with more duvet covers to clean each time. In your place I would probably go for 4.5 with spare blankets, but I'm no expert on Portugese weather. You've then got more flexibility for the warmer months. Blankets take so much less storage space than duvets. Do you use those "airless" storage bags which take less space?

One thought - why do you need top sheets with duvets? Is this common on the continent? For my midstay cleans the duvet covers and other linen are changed, it's the same system for the beds as an end of stay changeover. Also, if the winter nights are chilly, I would rather snuggle into a cosy duvet than have a linen sheet in the way. Or am I old fashioned?
The best things in life are free
Sam V

Post by Sam V »

Here at home (I've recently upgraded to superking duvet on a king bed) I always use a top sheet with duvet, one actually useful tip from my mum! It does mean the duvet cover doesn't have to be changed every week, only monthly, and the top sheet, fitted and pillow cases get changed weekly. I've also learned how to do that rolling up the duvet and cover thing to put the cover on! I dont find it less cosy and on a hot night I can throw the duvet back and still have a sheet over me.