Recycling

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Gettingthere

Recycling

Post by Gettingthere »

Our local authority collect recycling and food every week and general rubbish only every 2 weeks. Our house sleeps 10 people so in a week they can accumulate quite a lot of waste. It's therefore really important that guests separate (especially) food waste so it's not left for up to 2 weeks attracting vermin.

I leave clear instructions for guests to do this, but many don't. Once food is mixed in with rubbish it's a nasty job to separate and not something I tend to tackle, so sometimes I take a trip to the dump to avoid it being left for 2 weeks. I've taken to putting reminder notices on kitchen bins "no food waste" etc. and this has helped but not irradiated the problem.

Also from time to time I have to open up black bags that have a obvious 'clunk' sound to them to remove the bottles for recycling.

My question: is it reasonable to charge guests who have not properly sorted the rubbish as required by the local authority? Aside from it being the 'right' thing to do, it is after all us who will potentially get into trouble locally for not properly recycling.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I suppose the first point is to check whether your waste is regarded as commercial and therefore if you are required to make separate arrangements for a commercial collection service. It may depend on your area, but up here you would certainly have to make your own arrangements and pay for it. It sounds like you need a weekly collection which is probably an option.

is it reasonable to charge guests who have not properly sorted the rubbish as required by the local authority? Aside from it being the 'right' thing to do, it is after all us who will potentially get into trouble locally for not properly recycling.

I'd say no, opinion will vary. Realistically you won’t be able to counter the response of “but I did sort it” and how much are you going to charge them to open a bag to discover one bottle that got thrown into the wrong place? With a group of 10 people it’s going to happen.

Waste attracting vermin is really your problem, not your guests - although they’re the ones who’ll be affected. Maybe you need a large vermin-proof bin as a holding point for all waste. It’s a tricky one.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Hmm, difficult. I had this issue briefly when I managed a large sleeps 7 cottage for my Mum. I have to admit if they didn't sort the recycling I just binned it...but I felt bad about it. I don't think you can do anything else apart from strongly worded notices - maybe along the lines of 'our local authority strongly encourages recycling' etc etc....not sure you can charge if it doesn't actually cost you anything if they don't do it.
farley

Post by farley »

Recycling can be confusing.
Personally, we have a nomadic lifestyle and find it amazing that different authorities have very different recycling arrangements. Therefore, I think a guest on holiday is going to need very specific instructions as to what to do with recycling in their holiday home. If you opt to charge for your time sorting their rubbish one needs to be very clear at the outset this is going to be done. The threat of this may make them think before disposing of items in the incorrect bin.
On reflection it may well be easier just to make the trip to the dump, not particularly 'green' but it does have the advantage of keeping you sane and the guests happy.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

I have to sort the recycling most weeks as even with nice labels for the bins guests generally put plastic packaging into our recycling bag and our county seems to be one of the only ones that won't take it. It's a pain in the bum but unless I make quite strict notices (which I am loathe to do) I don't think it will change anytime soon.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

anya752000 wrote: It's a pain in the bum but unless I make quite strict notices (which I am loathe to do) I don't think it will change anytime soon.
I'm not sure even strict notices would help - I think one of the problems is that the object has already left the hand of the person when they see the notice (if at all)... not so much of a problem if it's e.g. a plastic carton, but if it's food waste, they have no desire to fish each piece of mince out by hand.

It's a very annoying problem, but I think it's something we have to live with, and perhaps see it as a bonus when it's sorted property, and be indifferent when it's not.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

gitemontjoly wrote: It's a very annoying problem, but I think it's something we have to live with, and perhaps see it as a bonus when it's sorted property, and be indifferent when it's not.
I agree completely
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well I'm afraid I do charge, this is what's in my T&Cs:

WASTE DISPOSAL AND RECYCLING:
Following recent events, regrettably we now have to impose a charge if waste disposal and recycling procedures are not followed as per local authority requirements. Full instructions are at
the house, but briefly they are, all waste to be tied up in bags (green top bin, must not include paper, glass, tins, plastic bottles etc) recycling bin (yellow top) to have cardboard, paper & tins
only (loose not in a bag). Glass bottles etc & plastics to be taken by you to recycling banks at the local Super-U supermarket etc.
Charges for non compliance are as follows:
£10 per bag/box of bottles or plastics that we have to dispose of for you. £50 minimum per external bin that the authorities won’t empty because bin bags are either not tied up or include items that should be recycled (they can check your bags) or have been put
incorrectly into the recycling bin, causing the bins to be emptied out & resorted.
The cost of any fines imposed by the local authority for not following recycling rules could also be passed onto you. We really really don’t want to charge you anything, so please please recycle, the locals take it seriously.

The first year we imposed this, I charged twice, felt so guilty doing so but had to reimburse caretaker his time re-sorting the bins - paying him £50 to do so was the only way he would do it - no problems last year so I'm hoping it won't happen again.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Do you have a compost caddy with biodegradable bags in your kitchen? I do, and I find guests pretty good at separating food waste. I more have a problem with guests just chucking everything else into the main waste bin and not bothering to separate glass and cans etc. No matter how much explanation you give, and how easy you make it, I think there are some people who are just lazy and won't bother (not their problem).
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

Yes we have a food waste caddy and leave them several of the bags. And several recycling boxes. Plus clear and instructions on how to use them. But some people just completely ignore it all and put it all in with the general waste.
waterwitch

Post by waterwitch »

This is such a hard one. I'm on a commercial contract for weekly non-recycle bin collections at one property. The Council still collect recycling and so we do ask that guests sort and we have labelled bins in the kitchen to separate so it's easy.

Our Christmas guests were only in 4 nights and managed to completely fill the non-recycle wheeled bin (which is bigger than a standard household one) to overflowing! Absolutely no attempt to sort glass/plastic etc.

I did go through and sort it but if my Housekeeper had to do it I would charge because, after all, I have to pay her for her time.