Guests want to extend stay but have not paid

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
rosebud

Guests want to extend stay but have not paid

Post by rosebud »

I agreed yesterday evening that guests could stay a second week but said they needed to pay by midday today ....however no payment has arrived. I contacted them just after 12 by e mail and text:
I am writing to let you know that £375 is due now if you would still like to stay from Mon 9th to Mon 16th Jan 2017

I am afraid I cannot continue to reserve these dates without payment.
I have had no reply & no payment has been made. They said they wanted to stay longer because of building work.

How should I proceed?

My worst fear is that they don't pay and don't leave! I assume one should call the police in this situation...
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Are you local? Can you go there & see?
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Unfortunately I am not local .... although I could ask my housekeeper if she was willing call in...
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Do you have a telephone number for them?
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Yes I have a mobile phone number
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Well you have three days still. Realistically you can't do anything unless they overstay. They may have changed their mind, not have the funds available etc, but as soon as 10am on Monday comes or whatever your checkout time is, they no longer have a right to occupy so I would have your housekeeper there on the dot. She can enter even if they haven't left and assess the situation. Does she have any burly friends?! If not then can you try contacting them at that point, even if it was via your housekeepers phone, assuming she was willing to make entry should they still be there.

Try not to worry, they may be pushing the builder to get back in, using the cost of staying with you as a negotiating tool or asking the builders to pay. All is not lost yet and the Police will be your last resort but you do have that option. Can you turn water or electric off from outside? :wink:
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Many thanks Nemo..

The guest has been in contact via text with an apology and says she will pay ... so I am feeling more relaxed - even though no payment has arrived yet.

As far as I know my housekeeper doesn't have an burly friends but she is a sensible person.

No way of turning the electricity or water off from the outside - but a good suggestion