Bilingual rental agreements

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Manclass

Bilingual rental agreements

Post by Manclass »

I've had my rental licence inspection and all went well.
One requirement the inspector pulled me up on was the fact that I only had my rental contracts written in English and they need to be in English and Spanish .. He said even though all my guests are English or speak English ( I've never had Spanish guests ) its still a requirement to have the contract in both languages in case of any disputes , I'm not sure how to go about this, has anybody else done this ?, if so what format is the contract in.. is it a paragraph in English and the same paragraph underneath in Spanish,? or is it two separate contracts to be filled in by guests .. I think there could be a problem somebody signing a contract in Spanish when they cant read it .
Any advice gratefully received ... :shock:
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

We have our rental contracts in dual Spanish/English languages with the Spanish first and English underneath. About 60% of our guests are British or native English speakers and the rest from everywhere else. Most speak English but we have had French speakers who did not but all was fine. I give one copy to them and keep the other one for our records. It was easy to do as our contracts are quite short. Still awaiting inspection so no idea if they will be happy with this.
Manclass

Post by Manclass »

Thank you Sanchisimo... There must be more people out there that have got their licences , I would love to hear has this been a requirement in other provinces or is it just in Granada province where I live. ?
CSE

Post by CSE »

We have always stated that when you have a business is a country you must have a rental agreement in said language and that it complies with the law of said country.
One would not expect to find an agreement written in anything else than in English in the UK would you?

Complaint forms for businesses in Spain are multilingual. That is something more than the UK has got.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Here is a link to a legal firm's site. It has a link to an example of a correct contract in Spanish. In the sentence that starts "Te deje enlace a un modelo.." if you click it gives you a Spanish contract.
I am with Casaantoestovo on this one. I am fairly sure that to comply fully with the law your basic contract should be done in Spanish format,not the way you would want to do it in English.
http://www.abogadosparatodos.net/modelo ... acacional/
Manclass

Post by Manclass »

Thanks...
A bilingual contract is being prepared as we speak.......