Personalised local street maps

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Personalised local street maps

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

i am looking for a programme to design a personalised local village map ( other than a general google map )

i can look at some printing companies with inflated costs to design something
but i am looking for something that i can put on my website for guests to print themselves as maybe a PDF
and something that i can also print for them to put a copy in the guest info folder

it is only a local street map with things like the bakery , post office , bank and a selection of highlighted places

and i do not think my offering with crayons/pencils will look professional :)

can anyone help
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I've never used it but might this help? If it's free other than giving a credit you could add a few markers on yourself simply with some photo editing software perhaps?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/about
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Thanks Nemo

i will take a look at the link , it will be just nice to give guests a local map personalised rather than trying to explain things like where the bakery, petrol station etc etc and also struggling in various languages
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Zur Alten Weinkelter wrote:Thanks Nemo

i will take a look at the link , it will be just nice to give guests a local map personalised rather than trying to explain things like where the bakery, petrol station etc etc and also struggling in various languages
Just wondered what is so wrong with google? I set up all the local supermarkets on a google map with links to their websites for opening hours etc. It went down very well with renters so thinking of extending it this year for lots of the many other reasons that people want to access maps.

In the age of technology we dont expect that people will actually want to print them but am I wasting my time? Is google really so wrong?
Zur Alten Weinkelter

vacancesthezan

i did not indicate that there was anything wrong with " Google " just something different

and it is good to give guests the option to either print or download
not all people want to carry their " smart phone "around

vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Zur Alten Weinkelter wrote:vacancesthezan

I did not indicate that there was anything wrong with " Google " just something different

and it is good to give guests the option to either print or download
not all people want to carry their " smart phone "around
Phew!!

We send them the link for the supermarkets with the arrival instructions before they ever set off so that they have an idea. There is a "well stuffed" paper based welcome pack as well with all the information duplicated plus lots more.

This is just so that they can stock up en route or before they have had a chance to "digest" the paper based info.

Happy with Google so will continue until something better comes along!

VT
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Google is fine as long as it's a direct link. As soon as you want to do anything off piste then it breaks copyright. I wanted to put a picture of an aerial map showing the position of the properties on a listing site but all I could do was a screenshot which then broke the copyright. Hosting something on your own site wouldn't work either so you couldn't produce a pdf to print from google. I always like a printed map when I go abroad!