Settle an argument- size of TV

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
loveka

Settle an argument- size of TV

Post by loveka »

My partner thinks we should get a 40 inch tv. We would have to buy a stand for it, and put it in front of the existing alcove.

I think a 32 inch would be sufficient. A 32 inch would sit in the existing alcove.

What are your thoughts? The guy who runs the cottage company says ' the bigger the better'.
Sapper

Post by Sapper »

I would go bigger ,guests still like to watch to and like it to be a good sized tv
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

Unless you are marketing your accommodation as "cheap, like youth hostel" type, then you are selling it as a "home from home, with all the comforts (and maybe more) of home".

So I would recommend going for a larger than 32", without going overboard - you don't need a TV so large they can watch it from outer space! :lol: Rather than a stand, can you fit brackets to the wall to hold the TV? That would leave the alcove accessible and available for books, games, ornaments etc.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

It does depend on the size of the room and how far away the seats are and where you are putting it. But yes, in a large room and a TV in the middle of the room, go for the larger size.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

It depends on distance and also can depend on the resolution (HD, 4k etc)

If you search on "tv screen size calculator" you'll get an abundance of help.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

To me, it depends on the house type.

If it's a modern flat, then the TV should be as big as you can fit.

If it's a period house, the TV should be small and inconspicuous. We did get a few comments about the 19" tv in our house that sleeps 10. We now make it very clear in listings and on our own web page that the TV is small and that this house is not a place to come to watch the box. Since doing that we get guests with the right expectations.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I would tend to go larger and consider the distance you are sitting from the screen. I think there is a suggestion that you should be sitting approx 2x the screen size away or it can be too large.

I just put 40" screens in my places to replace 32" but the physical size of the screen itself (including bezel) was about the same. Many modern TVs have a very thin bezel. I would check the actual physical dimensions of the TV you are considering.

We actually put in SMART TVs that include catchup or subscription services. I have seen that these do get used, people are using their own accounts to log into Amazon or Netflix. The cost of TVs seem to have dropped a great deal so these features don' cost that much more.
COYS

Post by COYS »

I'll be devils advocate & say 32 is more than adequate.
I suppose it depends where/who you are but telly watching doesn't sound much like a holiday activity to me so I wouldn't fret too much over a few inches either way (no pun intended!!)
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Apart from the above it depends upon where you are! If you are UK and get a lot of winter bookings then cosy fireside evenings watching TV with a warming brandy may be part of what folks pay for, but it you are in a hot climate watching TV is what small kids do when they get bored playing outside in the sun. Scale matters when it comes to a TV if its presence is actually important, and that is based on the size of the room and the distance between the viewing area and the screen.This page has a little slidey thing to make the job a bit easier :D http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/televisi ... ould-i-buy
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

All of the above, then consider the aesthetics. What size will be most appropriate for the proposed setting?

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have a small cottage - living room roughly 12 foot square and have a 32" TV - in an alcove ... seems the appropriate size.

I personally wouldn't want a bigger TV - perhaps some of the guests might...!
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

Cost is irrelevent as there is little difference between the cost of a 32 or a 40.
I have just bought a new 40 Sony smart TV for our small place in Sheringham. I went for a 40 after using various online calculators. I wasn't going to bother with a screen in the bedroom but the developer had built in the sockets so I thought I may as well. I picked up a good as new Samsung 32" smart TV on ebay that is less than a year old for £100 ! It will also be a back-up if there is a problem with the main TV at any time.
Eagerbeaver

Post by Eagerbeaver »

We went through the same dilemma. The property in question is very modern but we still only want for 40" at a 3m viewing distance.

People use the term home from home but people are on holiday and a reasonable TV experience is expected but certainly not a home cinema.

Smart functionality is probably more important than size and that can easily be added with an Amazon or similar stick/box.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Def 40 inch TV - 32 is too small. We have 2 Sony TV's at our villa and both are 40 inch. They look fine and not too imposing plus there is little difference between pricing no.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I put in a 40 at a rental villa in spain. To watch sport though i swap it for a 50.

More important the sound on modern tvs is rubbish, get a sound plate, bose or denon, massive improvement. Bluetooth too so u can play music