May bookings

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Jenster

May bookings

Post by Jenster »

I am full all summer but seem to be struggling with May bookings. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, particularly those with seaside properties (sleep 4, no dogs)?

Ideally I would like full weeks but am wondering if I should allow weekend breaks to attract interest. My prices are in line or if anything a bit cheaper than others in my area. Should I stick with my full week policy or open my apartment up for short breaks?

Thanks
Jenny
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Hi Jenstero, My holiday let is in South Cornwall, not by the sea but only a very short drive to a variety of lovely beaches - sleeps 7 + dogs. I find May difficult to fill via listing sites, except for the half term week which is always booked up well in advance.

2015 - only half term
2016 - my neighbour booked a long weekend for relatives attending a christening. Also had a last minute 2 week direct booking from a German family. Lucky month!
2017 - half term booked, plus one other week via a personal contact.

My house is a 2 hour journey on from Exeter. My own view is that perhaps its's too far for many people to consider a beach holiday when they consider the weather may not be so good, (although in my opinion, May is the best month in Cornwall). Nearer the time I might consider advertising shorter breaks, although it's difficult to be competitive given my high changeover costs.

In general I find letting outside of the summer months difficult via the standard advertising channels. Most of my bookings for the rest of the year come from personal contacts my family and I have here in Hampshire and London, all parties being 4 or less rather than the maximum 7.

If you decide to offer weekend breaks perhaps you would let us know how you get on. Thanks.
The best things in life are free
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Sorry Jenster, the American spell checker decided to change your name! Caught it this time.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks giraffe, glad it's not just me! Yes I agree that perhaps most people think it's a bit too early for a beach hol. I think I will leave it for a bit before caving and offering weekends. I am considering some fb advertising just to see if it works - if it does the advertising cost would prob be less than the loss of revenue from only having weekend bookings.
rigmover

Post by rigmover »

We are full in May, also April and June, on target for another good year, fingers crossed.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Well done rigmover, excellent bookings. How do you do it? I've looked at your website and you seem to have more off-season activities for adults than we do here in the depths of Cornwall.

Most of my visitors via the listing sites in the summer months come from the midlands or the Home Counties north of London, so they have a journey of about 200 miles. I've always assumed that the long journey puts people off in the other months, particularly for a short break. But I might be wrong! May need to rethink.

Do you do short breaks in April/May, and do your guests come from afar?
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Ideally I would like full weeks but am wondering if I should allow weekend breaks to attract interest. My prices are in line or if anything a bit cheaper than others in my area. Should I stick with my full week policy or open my apartment up for short breaks?
Hi Jenster
I allow 3 day breaks all year (& the occasional 2 day break - normally in the winter) also flexible start days - perhaps this is a mistake ?... However the majority of my bookings are for a week & run from Sat to Sat.
May is actually my best month so far with 3 weeks 4 days (3 wks 5 days last year.). June 3 wks 4 days. July 2 wks 2 days. Aug 2 wks.
Personally I think I would go for short breaks - but perhaps you need to wait a bit longer... I charge relatively more for shorter breaks so do best if I get 2 shorter breaks within a week!
rigmover

Post by rigmover »

Giraffe wrote:Well done rigmover, excellent bookings. How do you do it? I've looked at your website and you seem to have more off-season activities for adults than we do here in the depths of Cornwall.

Most of my visitors via the listing sites in the summer months come from the midlands or the Home Counties north of London, so they have a journey of about 200 miles. I've always assumed that the long journey puts people off in the other months, particularly for a short break. But I might be wrong! May need to rethink.

Do you do short breaks in April/May, and do your guests come from afar?
I'm not sure how we do it, maybe the Pubs and nice walks, I don't think the long journey should put people off, we have people from all over the Uk, Europe and NZ and Aus. We don't do short breaks at all, we live an hour away so it's not worth it. Good luck.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks for all the replies. perhaps Rigmover's property is a bit more 'unique' and therefore has a better USP to attract scarcer out of season bookings. Properties like mine are two a penny in my village. Our property is one of the nicest (in my biased opinion :D ) with one of the nicest views, but doesn't have a balcony like many others, which I believe many people are looking for.

I have caved and am now offering short breaks in May at a price which makes it worth my while. I will report back if I have any success.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.
Goldeneye

May booking down for us too

Post by Goldeneye »

We have hardly anything in for May and although we tend to get s lot of late bookings it is a little worrying compared to last year. We have noticed a real reduction in the number of enquiries from Trip advisor generally which may have something to do with it.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Still only have the 2 weeks bookings for May.

Goldeneye, similar poor experience with Trip Advisor. Only 1 enquiry for the whole of 2017, but fortunately I managed to convert it to a booking. On the upside you could call it a 100% conversion rate :roll:
COYS

Post by COYS »

Seemingly not UKcentric, we are also devoid of May bookings in what has previously been a busy & popular time especially with the half term. Plenty of others locally also pretty lean through May.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We only start renting on the school holiday at the end of May....and without fail we usually struggle to sell the first 2 weeks of June. I have no idea why no one wants to come then. I really think our season is getting shorter.....and yet August is just crazy.

Mouse
x
Woz

Post by Woz »

We're busy for weekends in Cotswolds for both April and May, though no bookings for longer then three nights (our minimum) in these months.