Area advice within the West Country

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
tiernsee

Area advice within the West Country

Post by tiernsee »

Seriously looking at buying a property, finances all sorted, figures calculated, all looking good.
We live in Devon and now are having thoughts about the north or the south and which is the best bet from a holiday let perspective. Our budget will allow us to buy a 2-3 bed house in either location. In the north we are looking at Ilfracombe, Westward Ho!, Bude - Boscastle (ok I know that is just over the border) and in the south Paignton, Brixham or Dawlish/Teignmouth.
From my perspective both areas have their goods and bad points, and I would welcome any fresh perspectives on these areas and their benefits and negatives.
Many thanks
isaxby

Post by isaxby »

We have one in Brixham and are very pleased with how it is going. We think Brixham is the best option within Torbay as there is so much going on here.

We have been told the population of Brixham in the winter is about 18000, in the summer it is 80000. Brixham is a working fishing port so unlike a lot of other seaside towns in Devon it does not effectively "close" for the winter, which means people will still visit.

We only started in July 2016 but our occupancy has been high - we do overlook the harbour which helps.

So my vote would be Brixham, but I am sure you could have similar success in some of the other places you mention.
Annew

Post by Annew »

Where do you live in Devon?

If you live in the middle of our beautiful county, why buy on the coasts? There is a thriving holiday market in the Devon countryside (I have 18 years experience of running my own business in Gods Own Country of mid-Devon)! and you get much more for your money away from the Riviera and the North Devon coast.

Just a thought!!! :D
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
russellt

Post by russellt »

Annew wrote:why buy on the coasts?
+1 totally agree.

Obviously budget, target market, and what you want to achieve, etc come into play. However, I recall a conversation with South Devon tourist quango 10 years ago, when we were at your stage. They talked of the frustrations of the narrow lanes which lead to the South Hams beaches, particularly for those from the home counties who expect to get everywhere super fast, and particularly in high season. (And some of the larger towns have challenging parking too.)

It was a salutary lesson, and we have seen people completely 'losing it' in the lanes in July, either going to the beaches or away from them(heading out for the day to explore).

So, we bought on the A38, inland but with the beaches near to hand.

There is no right or wrong answer, but much to think about.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage