New emissions regulations

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
limousin-cottage

New emissions regulations

Post by limousin-cottage »

With regard to the new regs due to come in in March 2017 regarding displaying an emissions sticker in your windscreen if entering Paris or other large cities, how do members think holiday rental owners in France should approach this? I feel I have a responsibility to my guests to make them aware of this, as Paris is en route to many of our places. But how to broach the subject when guests book, as if I have read it correctly, it is certain areas on certain days. I am having difficulty obtaining information on what constitutes 'in Paris'. For example, the Peripherique- does that come under the new regs?
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

As we'll be coming over at the end of March we applied last week on-line for a sticker to be posted to our UK address. We have email confirmation of the application which should be sufficient if the sticker doesn't arrive in time (I think it should be within 28 days). Will see how the system works before contacting any of our summer guests.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

when sending receipt for final payment together with direction, restaurant guides etc at bottom of email I have note advising guests to have adequate insurance cover. When they introduced the new rules about speed cameras & the brief period when drivers where supposed to have breathalyser test kits, I added a 2nd note regarding those. Will do the same this year: Please note, if driving through Paris & some other large French cities it is advisable to apply for an emmission windscreen sticker before your trip. That way you have told them, it is up to them whether they choose to comply.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

This is the page that shows you where the boundary is for Paris http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countr ... ance/paris
limousin-cottage

Hells Bells wrote:This is the page that shows you where the boundary is for Paris http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/countr ... ance/paris
That is very useful Hells Bells - I have been trying to find out the boundaries, but that clears it up. Thanks very much. I do think it's wise, as Petit-Bois says, to give guests this info. If they are anything like us, it wouldn't be the first time we have accidentally found ourselves leaving the dreaded Peripherique!
Circé

Post by Circé »

Oh for goodness sake, do you tell them to pack a spare hanky?
Do hotels tell their guests about motoring laws?
Are you liable if you tell them the wrong thing?
How far do you go, ask them what car they are in and calculate what crit'air vignette they would need if they do go into the centre of Paris (or Grenoble, or Lyon?)
You're accommodation providers, not a package holiday!
limousin-cottage

Circé wrote:Oh for goodness sake, do you tell them to pack a spare hanky?
Do hotels tell their guests about motoring laws?
Are you liable if you tell them the wrong thing?
How far do you go, ask them what car they are in and calculate what crit'air vignette they would need if they do go into the centre of Paris (or Grenoble, or Lyon?)
You're accommodation providers, not a package holiday!
I suppose some of us like to do a little more for our guests than others. I certainly wouldn't like to welcome arriving guests who have had to pay a hefty fine on the way here!
Circé

Post by Circé »

A few minutes research should have shown you that the Peripherique is excluded from the ban, that the AA, RAC and other organisations already have info on their websites and that non-French residents can buy the Crit'air stickers online (instructions in English too). Helpful gite owners can't buy the stickers for their guests as one needs the car reg document in hand to do so.
Different rules apply to French-registered classic cars on CG Collection.
There, I'm not SO nasty, am I?
PS
I'd have thought the biggest risk of hefty fines for your guests would be the ever-changing speed limits on the A20!
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I agree with Circe. Most guests who are driving will have contacted their insurance company and taken out some sort of recovery cover with AA, RAC etc. and those motoring organisations usually provide advice etc. about motoring abroad.

The rules for motoring in France are very different to the UK and rules in other countries probably vary in all sorts of different ways. I don't think we can take responsibility for everything. I don't feel obliged to tell guests they should carry international insurance documents, the vehicle log book, their driving licence, adjust their headlights, carry spare bulbs, breathalyser test kits, warning triangles etc. etc.

If a guest arrives after a long, tiring journey travelling on 'Black Saturday' I smile and sympathise and get them settled as quickly as possible - I don't feel responsible for whatever happened getting them to me, unless I gave them wrong directions.
limousin-cottage

Circé wrote:A few minutes research should have shown you that the Peripherique is excluded from the ban, that the AA, RAC and other organisations already have info on their websites and that non-French residents can buy the Crit'air stickers online (instructions in English too). Helpful gite owners can't buy the stickers for their guests as one needs the car reg document in hand to do so.
Different rules apply to French-registered classic cars on CG Collection.
There, I'm not SO nasty, am I?
PS
I'd have thought the biggest risk of hefty fines for your guests would be the ever-changing speed limits on the A20!
Did I ever suggest buying Crit'air stickers for my guests?? FYI I have read the RAC info on buying stickers online, thank you, but didn't actually find details of the boundaries on there, hence Hells Bells link being just what I was looking for? Thank you again Hells Bells.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

No-one should need to go anywhere near the peripherique to get to our place, but they do need to go around the Rocade in Grenoble, and that is also subject to regulation. Anyone exiting the autoroutes at Crolles and Voreppe will then require a sticker if pollution restrictions are in place, and there are often speed reductions there.
I've just applied for our own sticker this morning. Easy enough to do and it was 4,80€ including postage to UK. I hope the RAC have updated the link to buy the sticker, as it was showing a scam site which was charging almost 30€ when I read it last week.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Amid all this, I do think it's worthwhile drawing guests' attention to this new measure simply because it is new. Most drivers to France, seasoned veterans or novices, have their checklists, which they tick off as the preparations proceed; so here's a new one to add. There's no harm in reminding busy people, in the frantic organisational rush of holidays, of something they might not know or could have overlooked. It's easy to forget that our guests don't have the same focus on the everyday practicalities of life here that we do.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

after 14yrs in this business I am amazed by how many guests don't arrange insurance, break down, AA RAC etc.....we have had several incidents regarding these issues, never assume anything about guests, many forget to pack their brains!!!
limousin-cottage

Petit Bois and Moliere, Thank you. This is exactly why I thought it fair to inform guests - precisely because it is so new.