Malaga province - question on registering holiday rental

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Astorchamonix

Malaga province - question on registering holiday rental

Post by Astorchamonix »

Hola LMHatters,

We have just finished renovating a holiday let in Estepona. Our lawyer filled in the application for registering for a holiday let (ATN number). He has been given a temporary registration number but he called the Junta and apparently there is a backlog of >10k applications cations so we have no idea when the application will be processed.

We can't seem to find out whether our temporary number will suffice to put our place out for rental on the listing sites in the meantime as we are getting conflicting advice regarding this. Does anyone have any experience? Or the contact details of the Malaga office that we can get clarification?

We have fastidiously followed the registration rules, complaints forms included! Has anyone registered in Malaga yet and know how long the process takes?

TIA
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

Hi, yes we have now completed two applications and have our final approved registration numbers (they start VTF/MA). We did the process ourselves with the help of the staff in the office in Malaga. A very painless process. It took quite a while (some months if I remember correctly) to process our application as they have been deluged with applications and we were told in the office that it would be fine to rent the property while we wait for the approval.

Interestingly, we have had a call about an inspection to check things but we had guests in at the time and told them they couldn't on the day they wanted to. I'm still waiting for a new date.
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Thanks for the prompt reply Sanchismo, could I be cheeky and ask whether you have an email address for the office or phone number? Or do you suggest going in person to check things through? (Also do the office speak English? It's very embarrassing but we currently are only learning Spanish, work in progress)
Astorchamonix

Post by Astorchamonix »

Thanks for the prompt reply Sanchismo, could I be cheeky and ask whether you have an email address for the office or phone number? Or do you suggest going in person to check things through? (Also do the office speak English? It's very embarrassing but we currently are only learning Spanish, work in progress)
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

We've always gone there in person. I've never found local government particularly responsive to electronic commnication and they seem to be happier dealing with you in person. Unfortunately we have never come accross anyone who speaks English.

The office is on the 9th floor (I think) in the big white building next to the Larios Centre (where you can park for free if you spend money there). The official address is Calle Mauricio Moro Pareto, 4, 29071 Málaga.

However, if you have the application submitted I would suggest that would be fine. When we went to check they just said "you have to wait, we have had so many applications" but indicated that with the application submitted we could continue to rent it out (we had been running it before the legislation came into force). However, just make sure you are applying for "una vivienda con fines turísticos" which is for people with less than three apartments in the same area. Apartamentos Turisticos are for commercial enterprises with all that entails.