Business rates and waste disposal

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Jenster, I'd be quite interested if they do a dry recycling option. They didn't mention it when I enquired about their services, they just suggested the glass bin. As I've already had bins incorrectly filled by visitors I think I shall just stick with the one for now.

Re government guidance, my view is that I'm doing my bit by pointing visitors in the right direction. It's really difficult when you are an off site owner. If I hadn't discovered the misuse of bins when I was visiting for a week the rubbish would have festered in the glass bin all summer:shock:

I'd be interested in you experience when you go ahead.
The best things in life are free
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I think the dry mixed recycling is a new thing - paper, card, plastic bottles and cans in one clear bag that goes in a clearly marked wheelie bin. I think I will try two indoor bins with clear stickers on each for waste and the various DMR items, and a third small tub for glass which guests or the cleaner can take to the recycling station.

An owner in the Cornwall Holiday Homes from Owners FB group has just commented that H&A do their 5 cottages, all waste and recycling, for £15/week :shock:

I'll let you know how I get on.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Just heard back from H&A. They will do my waste collection for £12, general mixed recycling for £7 and glass for £7 per collection, each in a 240L wheelie bin. There is also a £52 annual 'waste transfer' fee. Based on 27 weeks per year, that is the best quote I've had of the three companies I've contacted,

As I said before, I think I will go for the first two and encourage guests to use the glass bank opposite for their glass waste. We would struggle to fit 3 wheelie bins in our yard. I just hope guests will be able to follow basic instructions on which is which!
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks Jenster. If you find that the dry mixed recycling works then I shall try it along the lines you are suggesting. My problem is that I'm 230 miles away and if it goes wrong (as last month) then I'm truly up the creek... The cleaners will have nothing to do with helping with rubbish and I have no near neighbours who can help. Sounds silly, but rubbish is my number one problem in running the holiday let.
The best things in life are free
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Yes I feel for you, it's hard enough when I'm 40 mins up the road. Have had a few impromptu trips down after work to sort and take rubbish away, and our neighbour who used to put the bins out has often complained about the mess. I had the same issue with the large cottage on Bodmin Moor I used to manage, and as you say the cleaners won't deal with it as it requires a waste transfer license. I'm hoping H&A will be the answer but we'll see.