How to obtain a digital cert for paying Spanish tax online

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
jemol

How to obtain a digital cert for paying Spanish tax online

Post by jemol »

Hi
I would like to know how to get a digital cert to enable me to pay my Spanish rental taxes online from outside Spain. Between my limited Spanish and Google translate I am finding it difficult to find this information on the Spanish government sites. Do I have to go to a government office in person and with what documents.
In the past I have used an agent to pay my annual taxes but now that I will be required to submit and pay quarterly I think it would be a lot cheaper to do it myself.
Thank you
Jemol
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Why not pay an agent to assist you to set up your digital certificate? For the system to work you have to set up the certificate on the computer you propose to use as it will not work on any other equipment. My gestor gave me a tutorial and talked me through the process.
jemol

Post by jemol »

Thank you casscat. I am currently trying to do it through the embassy here. An agent can only do so much as I will still have to go in person to prove my identity.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Prove to whom? The social security office? I had to appear in person there, 'tis true. Proper pain in the posterior it was too! But that was just about registering as autónoma and not the digital cert per se.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Thinking about it, I recall I had to go to my ayuntamiento office to get some sort of password or reference number, but that was blissfully simple compared to the ordeal of police stations and social security offices!
jemol

Post by jemol »

Oh they dont make it easy. Our embassy only gives one appointment a day to get a digital cert and it takes about 10 days to get that appt. And all I want to do is be a good citizen and pay my taxes!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Our embassy
? Which embassy and where? Your profile says you are in Spain.
We get ours from the local tax office.
Appointment made and certificate obtained within 2 working days. However we had to wait an flipping hour for the bod to return from his coffee break :x
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
jemol

Post by jemol »

Spanish embassy in Dublin. Now waiting for cert to be emailed to me next week and hopefully that will be it. But then I have to do it all over again with hubby to get his.
CSE

Post by CSE »

and when you change your device with which you log into the websites!
It is really much easier to use the services of a good gestoría. Ours has contact with the tax office as she has to work with them on a day to day basis. She will organise payments and fill out forms. Ensure the right information is passed on to the tax office etc etc.
Worth here weight in gold for us.
jemol

Post by jemol »

Sounds like you have found a good gestoria and she will keep you up to date on tax law changes also. Ours I think is expensive and is 1000s of miles away so wverything is done via email. Now that I will have to submit returns 4 times a year for both of us it will get expensive so thought Id try it myself. Watch this space!!
CSE

Post by CSE »

It will be interesting to see how you get on.
Yes do have a good one. There are good and bad in every profession.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

Nightmare diy, my accountant does it. I once went to get my own id but was fobbed off at the tax office. They dont make it easy.