Staysavr - App for direct Guest Contact

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

e-richard wrote:
Mouse wrote:If guests are happy to pay commission then they can ignore it.
I could be wrong, but I think that it does not work like that.
It seems that StaySavr OVERWRITES the booking button on HomeAway such that the only way a guest can communicate with the StaySavr owner is direct.
Only if the guest has the browser extension.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

NeatandPicky wrote:Only if the guest has the browser extension.
Yes, I acknowledge that the guest made the choice in the first place

I think the issue I was addressing was that once you have installed the extension, you may well forget and its not something people switch on and off.

Anyway, I believe that StaySavr are addressing this so that it won't be quite so black and white.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:How does it make any money?
I expect that side of it will become apparent later, unless the author, whom I believe is a Hatter, is - like so many - so disgusted by the way Expedia operates that he will think of subsidising it himself. IMO, it's a great and clever scheme. However, Homeaway and its siblings are in the habit of changing their T's & C's on the hoof, and might somehow feel free to sanction an owner's page, where they see this App. is working - https://staysavr.com/

StaySavr is not the only new kid on the block. You may know that 'russellt' has started a new site: https://www.holidayviewsdirect.com/ which has the same ultimate intentions as StaySavr, but with a different approach. It is in the style of Yellow Pages to which owners subscribe. The holidaymaker, having seen a property he likes on one of the major sites, and preferring to have direct contact with the owner, enters the name of the property, or the owner's name, to discover the owner's telephone number, email address and (if there is one) the owner's website. It's no good of course unless the owner is a subscriber to the site.
COYS

Post by COYS »

AndrewH wrote:
Nigel Goodwin wrote:How does it make any money?
I expect that side of it will become apparent later, unless the author, whom I believe is a Hatter, is - like so many - so disgusted by the way Expedia operates that he will think of subsidising it himself. IMO, it's a great and clever scheme. However, Homeaway and its siblings are in the habit of changing their T's & C's on the hoof, and might somehow feel free to sanction an owner's page, where they see this App. is working - https://staysavr.com/
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't installed on an owners listing as such, it is a browser extension for the user (i.e guest) So how could they sanction a static listing for a user installed tool?
Worst way out, they might realise that there are some very clever & determined owners & holidaymakers out there who are not as stupid or malleable as they like to think.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

COYS wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't installed on an owners listing as such, it is a browser extension for the user (i.e guest) So how could they sanction a static listing for a user installed tool?.
Because, I think that the browser extension will not act on a particular listing UNLESS the owner explicitly sanctions it by registering themselves at staysavr.

That may not be quite the way its working today, but I strongly suspect that its heading in that direction. (or at least ought to - IMHO)

Its all very clever stuff and I suspect has a number of different directions that it could go.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

e-richard wrote:
Its all very clever stuff and I suspect has a number of different directions that it could go.
Absolutely. It would be quite simple to have HA listings shown on OwnerHolidays, with the owner's permission, I already extract a select few, the only thing which is stopping me is that I have to upgrade my server, which I am in the process of doing. It simply needs some investors to put up some cash. But I applaud initiatives like this to break the monopolies.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

COYS wrote:[Correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't installed on an owners listing as such, it is a browser extension for the user (i.e guest) So how could they sanction a static listing for a user installed tool?
This is the explanation directed to owners, and intended for non-technicals like me, which I saw on the Staysavr site:-

StaySavr already helps you by putting your phone number back where it belongs: on the HomeAway page. However, we know that relatively few guests enquire by phone. When you are a member of StaySavr you can encourage direct email enquiries and you can boost enquiries via your own website.

It seems that, if the guest alone has subscribed, only the owner's telephone number will appear on the HA homepage. If the owner is also a Staysavr member, he will have added his email address and (perhaps) his own website to the information provided. I am guessing that this would be the way HA could tell the difference.
COYS

Post by COYS »

e-richard wrote:
COYS wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but it isn't installed on an owners listing as such, it is a browser extension for the user (i.e guest) So how could they sanction a static listing for a user installed tool?.
Because, I think that the browser extension will not act on a particular listing UNLESS the owner explicitly sanctions it by registering themselves at staysavr.
I did some random playing around in different regions & at the moment it seems to work on a big percentage of listings - they can't all be members yet?
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Seems to work for me. As far as I can see, it will display name and tel. for every advertiser, but only emails if the owner is registered.

Clever, and maybe the start of something much bigger?
Last edited by Nigel Goodwin on Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I can't see anything different on my HA listing.....other than the Enquire Now button.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

I am trying to test it out and see how it works. I installed it and am using it as a guest. I tried out some examples.

On

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p8034771

it shows the name of owner and tel. number.

I then looked at more HA properties, and they were showing name and tel. numbers. But then it stopped showing, even for the same property.

No doubt some early glitches, it is normal. Maybe there are some browser settings or caches which need sorting out.

Can anybody else see the name/tel. on

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p8034771

??
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:Can anybody else see the name/tel. on

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p8034771??
Yes, using Firefox, this is what it said for the Newquay Apartment:

Deal direct with owner or manager on +44 ******8129
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

yep can see your phone number on that one!
COYS

Post by COYS »

Tried all those listed above & they 'worked' fine with Safari on Mac
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

roxytoo wrote:I can see telephone numbers on first and last propertys but not on anon's..............
I see nothing on anon's main page either. On pressing the "Enquire Now" button, up comes Homeaway's "Contact the Owner" form. It's just like any other except at the foot it has another space which says:-
It looks like you haven't joined staysavr yet. Please do as it would let us see your ph0ne number and more on your Homeaway page!

So it seems that this is intended to appear to have been written by the guest(s) to the owner! Talk about tying a knot in the tiger's (Expedia's) tail. :lol: