"Joanne" wishing to book again

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Giuliano

"Joanne" wishing to book again

Post by Giuliano »

Just received this...

"Hello,
My name is Joanne and i have stayed with you guys last year at the property you have listed with Airbnb. I have lost my old email address and i can't find the property any longer.
We wish to book again also we are two couples and we need something free in September. In case you have disponibility in Septmeber feel free to take our details from this email and create a booking. Also we wait along with reservation your payment details so we can arrange Monday or Tuesday.
Thank you and we need a fast answer .
Have a nice weekend.
Joanne"

Needless to say, no "Joanne" has ever booked with me. Attached to the e-mail was an (apparently) pdf file which, I am quite sure, must have been some sort of malware.
teba18

Post by teba18 »

Wonder if it's the same Joanne who wanted to book with us 'again' last year?? She was persistent, always claiming to be 'ready to pay' and each time I told her the dates were already booked (fortunately most of them were!) she came back with a different enquiry for other dates. The annoying thing was that I felt I had to reply to her because each enquiry came through the OD website and I'd have got a black mark if I hadn't responded!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

teba18 wrote:The annoying thing was that I felt I had to reply to her because each enquiry came through the OD website and I'd have got a black mark if I hadn't responded!
At the risk of going off topic, I wonder if a "rejected" email would obviate you getting a black mark for non-response?

e.g.

Dear Joanne,

Please send me an email directly to managingdirector@ownersdirect.co.uk or please visit my website at www.junkstuff.ownersdirect.co.uk.

You can bet that the OD computers will pick that up, but will you get a different black mark ? I'll bet you won't. :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Giuliano

Post by Giuliano »

She disappeared.....
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I have found the exact same one in my junk mail yesterday except she came straight to my email address and scrubbed out any reference to a site. The surname is Cooper. The attachment (presumably a virus or something as you say) dropped off on the way so only shows as a blank. Suspect the origin is a French speaking African country (from the clue word - not pointing this out in case the sender is googling his/her name!).
Vera

Post by Vera »

She fancies Spain now!
judyc

Post by judyc »

I have just received a text message from 'Joanne' asking for availability for four adults, and attaching a very dubious looking file with her details.

I tried to ring the number rather than open said file, and number is 'unavailable' Numerous searches for the same number show it up as spam.

First time I have had a scam via text.