Calling on your experience

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
sunny fields

Post by sunny fields »

I know this topic has probably been covered numerous times but times change and so do viewpoints.
I am an Aussie owner of a one bedroom apartment in the Touraine. I have relied on word-of-mouth Aussie renters since 2008. However, since 2016 I have had absolutely no rentals and this year zilch.
I am now looking to find a suitable website to advertise our rental property. I am totally new to payments internationally. Also the time zone difference can be difficult for communications as I live in Australia. I do not have a manager but have a cleaner who keeps an eye on the property.
I am wanting to find a booking website that is straightforward in its owner/renter arrangements. I had a very successful, no hassle rentals over the years, but I was dealing directly with them and holding their hand to ensure that they had a wonderful time in our apartment.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
My personal website is also looking a little dated, which I am currently upgrading.
loirevillageescape.com
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Is there another owner locally that would manage the bookings for you?
sunny fields

Post by sunny fields »

They don't want the competition. Most of them are on AirBnB and and Tripadvisor but they don't seem to have much in their calendars.
Perhaps it is that our town is not widely known and isn't on the tourist radar.
dorie

Post by dorie »

Hi

I think you should try airbnb and flipkey, nothing to lose and your place is attractive, especially to the american market

Also, make it clearer on your website where you are. I had to go look on google map and I know the area quite well. Most people would have given up by that point and found somewhere else

Be clear what you are close to and what the Loire offers...wine, cycling, chateau etc. this is quite hidden on your site, I would put in on the first page. Many renters like to base themselves and have day trips

make sure the website is mobile friendly, something like this is a great site, clean and clear

http://seahorsepenthouse.com
dorie

Post by dorie »

Also...

Your prices are only in AUD, you should consider having them in EUR

And many people want shorter stays than one week

You might want to compare your prices to other places nearby too
wallypott

Post by wallypott »

The HomeAway group has always worked well for me. Take the international choice. Booking.com works very well, for short notice bookings and short stays. But their charges are huge so I increase my prices to match. Airbnb gives me a few long bookings every so often.
sunny fields

Post by sunny fields »

Thank you for those very valid points.
I have some tweaking to do.
Yes, I have looked at the competition and I need to see where mine fits in the spread. However, I may need to review one of my big costs which is pressing as my Hilton quality sheets and towels have to go to a commericial laundry as they are too heavy for our 5kg washing machine. That would take the tariff down and save on the staples that are constantly tagged to them by the laundry.
Each week slips by and I am losing potential Spring and Summer visitors. I have lost my mojo yet again for about a month, but your comments have motivated me again. Let's hope I can follow through this time!!
Regards,
Sunny
dorie

Post by dorie »

Keep the fancy linen and promote that on your site! we have a lot of comments on linen quality, and many people say they hate going to gites with mis matched horrible linen
russellt

Post by russellt »

dorie wrote:we have a lot of comments on linen quality
+1

mattresses quality too.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
sunny fields

Post by sunny fields »

Where do I look for those comments?