Providing Charcoal for BBQ?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
cloudberry07

Providing Charcoal for BBQ?

Post by cloudberry07 »

Hi 1st post here after being a lurker for quite a while :)

Our holiday cottage in mid Wales opens for the 1st time in April and we are pretty much ready, just finishing touches to house notes which are forever changing!

We have a brick built bbq area and grills for our guests to use. I have purchased charcoal and will leave some for people to use for their 1st bbq but have mentioned if they want more than 1 bbq during their stay they can purchase more charcoal locally....is this acceptable? Anyone else provide this for their guests or do you just have the bbq and ask that guests purchase their own?

Thanks for any advice :D
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

We provide a small amount of charcoal and if guests use it all up, and still want to BBQ, they buy more. It's SELF catering, after all.

Have you considered the state the BBQ may be left in? Somebody on here (can't remember who) tells his guests that if the BBQ is not cleaned, there will be a charge of XXX taken from their damages deposit, which seems to focus their minds! :lol:
We don't have this problem as we only offer a Cypriot souvla BBQ - rotissary style - and it's hardly used. Most of our guests prefer to go out and eat in one of the local tavernas.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

We normally supply charcoal for the first clients and then usually there is a "roll-over" affect for the subsequent guests. However as we are on-site we can provide some in an emergency.
Yes, BBQ cleaning is a right pain in the bottom !
What would Plato do ?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

When we had charcoal BBQs we used to keep a bag guests could buy in an emergency but there was often a 'rollover' from one guest to the next.

We now have gas BBQs but T&Cs do say it has to be left clean and if not we deduct a cleaning charge.

As said above it is SELF catering ....................
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I don't provide charcoal, but I do say in my advance guest info that they should add charcoal and firelighters to their en route shopping list. My place (no longer a rental) is in Southern Spain and everyone expects to lob something onto the barbie before they've even unpacked! :D
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

We provide charcoal, firelighters and vine cuttings and in 11 years have only replaced the charcoal twice. Have found if items are provided folks use them and replace them. Even if they didn't it is worth the very little money involved to just provide these small extra items and in only 2 cases over this time have we ever needed to describe the BBQ as needing a deep clean. Apart from that we just consider if they are using the BBQ then they ain't using the electricity, so win win.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

We provide for the first guests only.. then they seem to leave enough or replace it completely for the next guests. Seems to work fine.
Marks

Post by Marks »

I never supply charcoal, guests invariably leave some behind, at least enough for a first BBQ. I think most guests automatically buy charcoal anyway.

And it's me who charges for a dirty BBQ - 25 Euros - so 99.9% of the time it's clean & tidy :wink:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Our summer guests always use the bbq but very very rarely leave any charcoal! I've pondered leaving some and we did a few times but the cost mounted up quite quickly as almost every single set of guests needed a new bag. I agree it would be much nicer to arrive to some ready so perhaps it's something to try, and see how you go. Also I guess the cost of a bag locally, and ease of availability is a factor.

I mention a cost for leaving the barbecue dirty too, tactfully phrased - "of course I'm sure this is second nature to you but please do remember to brush it off after use as it's very hard to clean otherwise"
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Martha

Post by Martha »

Our summer guests always use the bbq but very very rarely leave any charcoal! I've pondered leaving some and we did a few times but the cost mounted up quite quickly as almost every single set of guests needed a new bag. I agree it would be much nicer to arrive to some ready so perhaps it's something to try, and see how you go. Also I guess the cost of a bag locally, and ease of availability is a factor.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
cloudberry07

Post by cloudberry07 »

Thank you everyone for your replies. We decided to leave enough charcoal for a first bbq (and matches, firelighter, cleaning equipment etc) and instructions on where to get more locally. We are in Mid Wales so I think it wont be used that much other than in the summer so we will see how it goes cost wise.