Have you moved to start a new life? I am about to!

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
loveka

Have you moved to start a new life? I am about to!

Post by loveka »

And I'm scared!

I would love to hear any success stories, or just experiences. We are moving to Cornwall. We have already bought a holiday cottage (first booking at Easter) and we are buying a house with an outbuilding we are planning to convert to a let. We will possibly live in this next summer and rent the big house out.

This will be our main income. I will still work in London a day or 2 a week at first, but we are hoping to make a (poor but happy) income.

We don't know anyone, we are leaving friends behind. We live in Surrey at the moment, I will have to drive everywhere when we move.

I am SO excited. But also scared it won't work as we imagine. That we won't be able to let the cottages. That I'll hate cleaning and ironing for a living...
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Hi Loveka,
I just wanted to say good luck and it'll be great. Cornwall is a fab place to live, we moved down 12 years ago for the lifestyle (way before holiday letting) and have not regretted it. You must feel it is right for you to have got this far so have faith...the bookings will come and you will love it.
sylvainbg

Post by sylvainbg »

I moved in Sweden to follow my swedish wife (I am french)
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Loveka, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Cornwall is beautiful, I wish I could live there but my family are here in Hampshire and London. Follow your dream.

Giraffe x
The best things in life are free
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

We did it almost 5 years ago, moving from within the M25 (Surrey) to very rural West Wales, and have never looked back! Love the new lifestyle. It was tough to meet people initially but now have some fantastic friends. As long as you jump in with your eyes open and make the effort to put yourself out there, you will be fine. Good luck
JanB

Post by JanB »

What an exciting adventure!

No other job will give you quite the satisfaction you will get when preparing your holiday let for your visitors. Like anything in life, there will be the odd hurdle.

Enjoy the process.... so often we forget to revel in the pleasure of something new because we worry too much. I am so guilty of that.

My husband gave up his well paid job when we were in our early forties and we have never regretted it. Flown by the seat of our pants on occasion (financially) but it has made us rather better at making the important things in life count.

Being scared is a good thing, it makes us look left and right; it means you are doing all you can to make a real success of your new life.

Good luck!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
COYS

Post by COYS »

Agree entirely with Jan B's prognosis.
By comparison, we bought our house in 2003/4 with a 'five year plan' to start afresh. Almost 14 years later, that 5 year plan is still looking like a 5 year plan & I regret it every single day. Time flies very quickly so make the most of it.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm sue everything will be fine as long as you're committed to making it work....and enthusiasm gets you a fair distance.

We moved from Manchester to Ibiza 20 yrs ago. We got in to holiday lettings seriously 14yrs ago when we moved from a beachfront apartment to a villa in a small village. Although we did rent out our apartment before we moved out here, it was to family, friends, work collegues etc as that was pre-internet days.

When we moved people thought we were brave....but I'd had a 5 yr plan since buying the apartment so I was convinced it wouod work. It did, but not always in the way I thought.

Will it suit you? Who knows, we're all individuals.it suited us very much until about 6 yrs ago when we admitted that we wanted something that Ibiza couldn't offer....plus the island is changing. It's becoming a very VIP culture here and we don't like that.

Interestingly I miss what I gave up and wanted to get away from. But perhaps that's just me. I'm now ready for another move/life plan but we have to wait until Mr M is 65 to avoid the dreaded tax.....but we would stay in Spain and hopefully have a place in the UK somewhere. Both places being rentable as that's our income.

Good luck! It's exciting and I'm sure you will do ok. Rentals are harder to get these days but there is a lot of advice and support here on LMH should you need it.

Mousie
x
aasta

Post by aasta »

Best of luck!!! We moved 7 years ago and are sooo grateful to be here and, eventhough we put in long hours with no days off for 8 months of the year, we have not regretted the move...
aasta