Large property in Cornwall

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Treverva

Large property in Cornwall

Post by Treverva »

Hi everyone

Been lurking around the site for a while, but our acquisition of a larger property (3500+sq ft) in Cornwall is rapidly nearing completion, so starting now to think seriously about furnishing it ready for letting.

The property has four bedrooms (upstairs) with two en-suite bathrooms that are also accessible from the landing and one separate en-suite. Downstairs, there are three large reception rooms, one of which we are considering using as a bedroom. There is a shower room downstairs too.

From our research, it seems that most agents recommend having at least one set of twin beds, rather than all doubles. Would you agree?

One bedroom is slightly smaller than the others (still plenty of room for a double bed though. If we put doubles/twins in the other rooms, then we were thinking about putting either one or two sets of bunkbeds in this room. I know this limits us to groups with kids, but quite frankly, that is our target audience.

Any thoughts from your experiences? Don't worry, I've got lots most questions yet!

Thanks in advance.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Hi Treverva

Your project sounds very exciting and as you say a lot to think about. How about zip-linked twin beds so you can offer the option of a double or twin beds in each room?
Treverva

Post by Treverva »

Thanks Jenster!

Yes, I should had said that - that was our thinking, if we do go down the twin route. That said, we've found a great source of some lovely French-style sleigh beds which would look great in the (period) property but clearly can't be linked.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

We've just ordered this so the second bedroom room (actually will be the "first" as room 2 can't really accommodate) can convert according to guest preferences.

Not taken delivery yet so can't review it.
http://www.divancentre.co.uk/pearl-orth ... -divan-bed
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
russellt

Post by russellt »

Treverva wrote: French-style sleigh beds
We have one at home. My other half would happily burn it. :oops:

Not the easiest for changing bed linen as it is low, and the mattress sits inside a frame with hard edges = strained back, stubbed fingers, ripped nails, etc. I wouldn't fancy doing that once or twice a week.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Treverva

Post by Treverva »

Thanks - something for our cleaners to worry about rather than us thankfully! Actually, the ones that we like aren't so hard to get at for changing sheets - I know what you mean about some of them though. I also generally don't like them because I'm tall and footboards generally irritate me - but we're getting superkings so should be plenty of length.
Treverva

Post by Treverva »

jazzuk777 wrote:We've just ordered this so the second bedroom room (actually will be the "first" as room 2 can't really accommodate) can convert according to guest preferences.

Seem a good price - be interested to hear how you get on with it.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

Treverva wrote:
jazzuk777 wrote:We've just ordered this so the second bedroom room (actually will be the "first" as room 2 can't really accommodate) can convert according to guest preferences.

Seem a good price - be interested to hear how you get on with it.
I thought so. Would have preferred full memory foam rather than foam and spring - as we swear by them now, but can't find a full foam option. Headboards are quite expensive from them but can get on ebay ~£12. Also can get 6.66% topcashback on the site too.
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
Running Chrissy

Post by Running Chrissy »

Great tip about the cash back, thanks. Good luck with your property Treverva, sounds exciting.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Hi Treverva, there was some LMH discussion on zip linked beds a sort while ago. It seems that you need 3ft bed linked beds to generally classify them as adult singles. If you use 2ft 6inch beds I understand that you would need to advertise them as such.

My house in Cornwall is 2,200 square feet. It sleeps 7 in 4 bedrooms - 1 king, 1 double, 1 twin and 1 single. I would have preferred zip linked beds but unfortunately do not have bedroom space. I deliberately did not put bunk beds in the smaller single room. 2 reasons:

. Outside of school holidays I don't want to discourage groups of adults.

. Unlike your marketing strategy, I don't encourage multi families with children. On the rare occasions I have them this is when damage occurs and the house is not left in good condition. I suspect that no one person takes responsibility for the House whilst staying there. My housekeeper notices this in other holiday lets she manages. Perhaps something to think about when considering your Terms and Conditions and a damage deposit.

But it's good that different owners offer different types of holidays. One important thing to consider is the ratio between sleeping accommodation and "daytime" space. My sleeping area and bathrooms upstairs are around 1,000 s.ft, and the kitchen/breakfast room and lounges total around 1,200s.ft for up to 7 persons. Visitors always comment that they find it "spacious".

Hope this helps. Good luck with your exciting venture.
The best things in life are free
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Treverva wrote:Thanks - something for our cleaners to worry about rather than us thankfully! Actually, the ones that we like aren't so hard to get at for changing sheets - I know what you mean about some of them though. I also generally don't like them because I'm tall and footboards generally irritate me - but we're getting superkings so should be plenty of length.
I say this slightly flippantly, but as other owners will vouch for, I'm also being deadly serious. Look after your cleaners. Treasure them if they do a good job. :) They are the often the most important thing that stands between you and happy or miserable guests. I wouldn't have a successful business without mine. I can furnish it beautifully, provide an excellent booking system, act promptly when enquiries come in, provide lots of information etc etc, but if the place isn't clean and well maintained, then you and often the world will hear about it.

I asked for my cleaner's input when I refurbished my second property as to what made her life easier or more difficult. You'll have less stress if you make their life as easy as possible. :wink:
Treverva

Post by Treverva »

Thanks, that's a good point - I had picked up on the whole 3ft debate - and as a customer, I couldn't agree more.

We're fine for space. Overall, I think it's 3500sq ft or so, split equally between up and downstairs. Trouble is going to be heating and furnishing the darned thing!

Couldn't agree more about the cleaners - finding and looking after the best is already a top priority.