Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

.COM versus .CO.UK
Goto page 1, 2  Next

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: .COM versus .CO.UK Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm feeling daunted but tempted...

....to have a go at building my own website Confused

For the time being, I have zero know-how Confused Confused

Could someone please advise me whether it is better to register a domain name as .com or .co.uk ?

Background info: I live in France but guests at our two houses are nearly 100% from the UK. Don't know if this makes any difference.

Your help would be really appreciated!
Jenny
linda147

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny

I have posted a reply in the Personal websites thread as I saw your question there first!
http://twitter.com/vejer
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Linda,

Thanks very much, this sort of help is very precious.

In case anyone else is interested, Linda recommended buying both 'endings' to stop the competition getting a look in. You host just one website and divert the other domain name to your main website.

I shall do some domain name registering tomorrow, then!

If I keep at it, say an hour a day, I should have my website up and running within, err....5 years?

Thanks again!
Jenny
mpprh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=409079&CategoryID=416645&threadid=2185333&highlight_key=y&keyword1=domain

this was a topic here, but has been deleted I think.

It is a warning about unscrupolous people who buy similar names to yours, then hold you to ransome.

The story is not yet finished.

Peter
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

...should I understand that as encouragement to register several similar domain names in an effort to protect myself against such unscrupulous activity ?

Jenny
paolo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your customer base is British you should go with UK hosting, because people who have dabbled in these things say that you get slightly higher Google position for searches conducted from the country your site is hosted in.

I am not up-to-date on whether having a co.uk domain also has an effect, but logically it might. You could have the co.uk as your main site and the .com redirected to that site.

I would also buy the .net and .org just to keep them off the market, and a very cheap place to do that is godaddy.com
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Paolo. Excellent advice.

I rushed in where fools fear to tread this evening and snapped up a .com domain name with ukwebsolutionsdirect which I believe was recommended somewhere else on the forum, so I will probably stick with them.

I'll be doing a bit more shopping tomorrow then!

Jenny
vrooje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our website is a .com, but after about a year of browsing on this forum, I decided to buy the .co.uk and use Network Solutions to host a 301 (permanent) redirect to the .com.

I have also registered the .net, but I'm not using it.

I wasn't too concerned about the .org because it's my understanding that you have to prove non-profit status to acquire one. If I'm wrong, I'll register that too...
Mountain Goat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't too concerned about the .org because it's my understanding that you have to prove non-profit status

Vrooje, hi
I've never come across this, and I've got several laid down for future use. I know that was the original intention with .org

What about .info as well?

MGoat
vrooje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know... I just figured that I had the major bases covered with .com, .co.uk, and .net. If I can do .org, I will. I would probably go for .fr and .eu (if possible) before .info. Once you start this, it can get quite expensive to cover all possible permutations.
A-two

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vrooje wrote:
I wasn't too concerned about the .org because it's my understanding that you have to prove non-profit status to acquire one. If I'm wrong, I'll register that too...

Brooke,
You're wrong about .org, sorry, but I still wouldn't register it. Although it was set up originally with that intention, it was never enforced and by the time they handed it over to a new Registry, it was too late, so there is no non-profit requirement.

As you quite rightly point out, it gets quite expensive to cover all the bases, especially when you start to consider the hyphenated version and possible plurals. The Domain name Industry is centred on creating new domain name extensions every year. They want everyone to think they have to buy every new version of their name, and it's only going to get worse. Follow the money.

Much as I dislike the fact that VeriSign and Network Solutions have been ripping off the consumer for years, (were you invited yet to stay on one their huge private yachts?), the .com is still the most important version to acquire. If you don't have that, you're already in less than an ideal position unless you are entirely EU based, in which case, go for the .eu.

The cost of a .com is going to rise quite dramatically, (maybe they need a few more lear jets), so it will be interesting to see how many are shed as a result. Not many is my guess.

Unfortunately, there is a also a nasty habit of some registrars. They hold onto previously registered names that are not renewed. By rights, these ought to be returned to the pool of available names for purchase by you or I for $8, but instead, they being auctioned off to the highest bidder by the Registrar. Greedy.

I know .co.uk is important to the UK, but it's no more relevant to the rest of the world than .cn or .fr. It's a country code, that rarely comes up on the searches here, whereas .com, .net and .org are generic. .eu has yet to prove itself, but I have faith in it.

They launched .travel fairly recently and are pushing hard for everyone in that business to migrate from .com and .net, but I don't see it happening, which is just as well because vacation rental owners are not even qualified to register one.

Regarding .info and other 4 letter TLD extensions, it was my understanding (when i was more closely involved in this stuff) that there a huge number of servers out there couldn't resolve anything other than a three letter TLD extsnion unless they got a fix, which most didn't do, hence .info was always a bit of an unknown. With the introduction of .mobi. .travel maybe that's all changed, but it would be a mistake to think everyone in the world has the latest technology.

Heck, they still don't even have an internet connection in vast tracts of the world, so expecting them to get their hands on anything that can handle a four letter domain name extension is unrealisitic. Then again, if you're purpose is to sell a high end vacation rental, you couldn't care less whether the tribeswomen of the Masai Mara can log into your site. It all depends on who you're trying to reach. About 50% of the hits on my site are from the EU and it's a .com. Go figure.

Happy domain name picking!

My 2 cents.
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your much appreciated and valuable input. I never imagined there was so much to it...

Jenny
vrooje

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joanna,

Thank you! I knew this was right up your alley and all the rest of us were (well, okay, at least I was) speculating. Smile
mpprh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just worth saying that google in different languages gives different results, even if you select "all languages".

.co.uk is favoured by google.co.uk

.fr (and french language sites) is favoured by google.fr

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-24,GGLG:en&q=languedoc

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=languedoc&meta=

http://www.google.fr/search?hl=fr&safe=off&q=languedoc&btnG=Rechercher&meta=

There may also be some impact from the country of the host.

Peter
A-two

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke, I've been out of ICANN circles too long to be able to claim any kind of expert status on domain names anymore, and there are so many different factors involved that impact search engine results, as Peter has kindly pointed out above. I think the important thing is to go for something you like, as short as possible, easy to pronounce, easy to say out loud, easy to spell, easier said than done.

Regarding your particular domain, I would like to change my mind and suggest you do pick up the org. It's the kind of name that could be very attractive for a local government/tourism initiative, and a non-profit .org version would do them very well, so for the sake of another $10, I would want to protect myself from that kind of risk, which is higher than on most names.
How to build your own personal website from scratch