Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Surcharge for credit card payments to go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenbarn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Surcharge for credit card payments to go Reply with quote

This has apparently been in the pipeline for a while, but I only found out today from my card payment services provider.

After 13th January 2018 you wonít be able to add a surcharge to any card payment; this replaces the existing regulation that you canít add a surcharge in excess of what the service costs you.

Google "Payment services directive 2Ē for more info.
FelicityA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then the only thing you can do is advertise all your prices with the amount you pay to your card provider (does this include PayPal, I wonder?) and then discount to those who pay another way - transferwise for abroad, BT for domestic for example.
sylvainbg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the way I do, I offer discount when it's pay by bank transfer or cash.
My card fees with stripe is only 1,4% so in all case it's small
greenbarn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absorb the costs anyway as I think taking credit card payments is another marketing tool for attracting guests.

Discounting for other forms of payment amounts to the same thing as surcharging for a card payment, although it may be less obvious depending on how itís presented.

I donít accept Paypal, but at a guess (and a completely uninformed one, so donít quote me!) as youíre not taking a card payment directly it might not apply. Youíre using an intermediary (which is why the guest doesnít have the standard level of card payment protection) who are charging for their services, not a card provider, and Paypal apply their charge regardless of the payment method used by the guest.

It might stir some competition and we could possibly see a drop in card charges as a result. Or theyíll increase the charges for the small fry (us) and reduce them for the big users... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Bookings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: