Gites...anyone actually earning a living?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
EricaT

Gites...anyone actually earning a living?

Post by EricaT »

Dear folks,

It's me and my never ending stream of questions again!

I've posted some things in another forum and there is a terrible sense of gloom and doom around gites and their potential to earn an income. I am being told flat out, don't do it! I appreciate the frankness and the advice that people have been giving me but I can't help but wonder if there is another side to the story too.

So, I'm going to be very cheeky and ask the following questions.

1- Do you run gites and earn/gros £15'000 + per annum?

2 - Do you have a pool?

3 - Are you within walking distance of a shop/bar/restaurant?

4 - How many gites do you have?

5 - What percentage of your guests are British?

6 - Have you been established 3 years +

7 - Do you have an another income besides the gites or are the gites your sole income? (i.e. rental property back in uk or partner working away).

If anyone would be so kind as to help me with my questions I really would appreciate it. Also if anyone would prefer to Private Message instead that would be great too.

Erica
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hi again Erica - I've stopped renting now, but at the time my answers were:

1 Yes
2 Yes
3 Yes
4 One
5 90%
6 Yes
7 Yes (we were still working in the UK)
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
EricaT

Post by EricaT »

Thanks, Mols!
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

It is possible to make a living renting out gites but it isnt easy.
You will need time, money and be prepared to learn a lot very quickly. Everybody will want a piece of your pie so if you want to have enough to live on it needs to be a big one!
If you want to find out more on how people are doing & what kind of set up they have visit some owners websites, you can work out roughly what they are earning, there seasons & what kind of set up they have.
If your ever passing my way pop in & i will have a chat to about the ins & outs of running a gite complex (not on change over day though!. :wink: )
EricaT

Post by EricaT »

Hi Bassman!

Thanks so much. And I promise not to turn up at lunchtime one Saturday! Hee hee :-)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bassman is absolutely right - you can make a living out of running a gite, but it's hard, and you won't make very much unless you have several and that takes capital. Others might disagree, but with a few exceptions, I think the main rental season in France runs roughly from April to September; in Provence, Haute-Savoie or Normandy/Brittany it is generally longer, but often rental rates are much lower, as far as I can see. Accordingly you need to maximise your business during those months.
It will take some years to build up the business, so be prepared for lean times at first; you should try to find a USP, something to set you apart from your competitors and give you an edge, whether it be a fishing-lake, a mountain-biking route, disabled access, or craft lessons - something needs to pull your place out of the ordinary, think why should people come to you rather than Joe down the road?
It's a lot of work and worry, but it is worth it when it all comes together!

Mols
EricaT

Post by EricaT »

Did I mention I was going to do crafting holiday workshops out of season? That was my USP/niche. We would be cutting ties completely with the UK. I earn a living with my writing/illustrating too but I've always dreamt of running crafting workshops & accommodation. I just can't decide if it's a bit pie in the sky/dreamy or actually quite a good idea. We have to decide soon as we are renting, (after renovating and selling our house to fund this), and I want to move on. Either in UK or France. But do we risk ploughing ALL we have into France or play it safe and stay in the UK, (which would break our hearts but it's not the end of the world I suppose). :cry:
I make things like this BTW...
EricaT

Post by EricaT »

Ugh...try this link instead

https://www.facebook.com/allthingsottoline/ :oops:
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

EricaT wrote:Ugh...try this link instead

https://www.facebook.com/allthingsottoline/ :oops:
So cute Erica! :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Erica, is that you with baby Samuel?
So you are considering moving to France, setting up a gite, initiating a craft workshop, all with a newborn to care for? Do you buy your challenges wholesale?

Respect!
Mols
EricaT

Post by EricaT »

Thanks, Kathy!
Mols, I'll just add all those things on top of moving house when Sam was 3 weeks old...it has been bonkers lately. :lol: I like a challenge...or six... :shock: He's four months now.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Well, all credit to you Erica, but in that situation I do think you need to be within squeaking distance of civilsation.
For instance, if you're in a village or near a town with an expat population, you've got your starter group for craft workshops through the off-season and a market all year round; there'll be artisans to help with the gite if necessary; doctors and nurses won't be far away if you need them. And as you know, a young child is a great social introduction!

Bonne chance.

Mols
EricaT

Post by EricaT »

Thanks, Mols. Lots to bear in mind...
vacancesthezan

Re: Gites...anyone actually earning a living?

Post by vacancesthezan »

EricaT wrote:Dear folks,

It's me and my never ending stream of questions again!

I've posted some things in another forum and there is a terrible sense of gloom and doom around gites and their potential to earn an income. I am being told flat out, don't do it! I appreciate the frankness and the advice that people have been giving me but I can't help but wonder if there is another side to the story too.

So, I'm going to be very cheeky and ask the following questions.

1- Do you run gites and earn/gros £15'000 + per annum?
It was our only income for many years
2 - Do you have a pool?
NOPE
3 - Are you within walking distance of a shop/bar/restaurant?
Yes
4 - How many gites do you have?
4 apartments which can also be split into B&B - flexibility being the key
5 - What percentage of your guests are British?
about 30 to 40 % but depends upon the year. We are fairly fluent but inaccurate French speakers.
6 - Have you been established 3 years +
More than 15 years. This has been a full time job for one person (8 to 10 hours a day, 6 days a week out of season and 7 days a week in season). 3 to 5 days holiday a year (with computer in tow just in case!)
7 - Do you have an another income besides the gites or are the gites your sole income? (i.e. rental property back in uk or partner working away).
Now we have a retirement pension but prior to this only the business.

Erica
In truth the most important is location location location.

If you are in the middle of nowhere what are people going to do? If you are offering crafting then what are the other people in the party who dont do crafting going to do?

The keys are (LMHers may have more to add):

being somewhere (or having something) that people want to see and do
extending the season with careful pricing
doing as much yourself as you can
keeping a ruthless control over costs.

Plus having sufficient funds behind you as a cushion.

Why have you chosen £15,000pa ? Do you think that this would be enough?

We dont have children but would not (and could not) have done this with them.

What you are proposing is a tall order but possible with the right property in the right area. There are lots of people out there failing. It doesnt mean that you will.

Good luck
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

1.Yes
2.Yes (2)
3.No
4.Two
5. 85-90%
6. Yes - since 1997
7.Did have in France, now retired, wife runs painting courses in winter and sells a few paintings.

We came over here with 2 young kids of 2 and 4 yrs who went through the French school system to Uni level.

Would not change a thing, best move we ever made leaving the grey old UK.
What would Plato do ?