Refund help please

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
HPD

Refund help please

Post by HPD »

Hi I really need some advice please. So a little while ago a couple booked a weeks stay. The husband put his wife's name on booking form as lead name and said it'd be easier to contact her. However it has been him that made deposit payment and two other installments (they didn't ask to pay like this- just did it!). They haven't paid full amount yet. Anyway this weekend the wife emailed to say they've split up so have to cancel. I then emailed the husband and her to the email on form to confirm they wish to cancel and to give me account details to refund the money minus deposit. She's replied confirming and given me account details. However the account is in a complete different name to hers. Now do I refuse, do I say can only be lead name but then that would be her and its him that's made the payments?! I haven't had any contact from him. What would you do?!! Thank you.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Did the husband pay by cheque or from his bank account direct? Do you know if it was his account or a joint account with his wife?

If he has paid the money I would hang fire and see if he contacts you/contact him. If he has paid the money my feeling would be that he, and only he, is entitled to the refund unless he expressly says you can pay it to his wife. Then, it is her decision where the money goes back to.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

You can't know what might be going on behind the scenes with the marriage split, so for you to be safe I would do what GillianF says. If the husband on his own paid the money then it should be returned to him.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I think monies should always be returned to the same person and in the same manor it was received too.

To do it differently could be "Money laundering" I believe although small amounts of money I suppose don't count but at the same time one partner could be stealing from the other.

Taking money or receiving money from one person and then giving it back differently could land you in trouble as you may then be asked to refund the monies again to the original person a second time and I think that you would have to too.

A slightly different situation............ a few months ago I had a very expensive gaming desktop PC (£4K) handed in for repair. The owner died. I have had many phone calls from a person claiming to be "The sister" wanting it back threatening death and destruction and I know that "A brother" has rightful ownership by probate but I'm waiting for a solicitors letter and other bits of paper before it let it go to the brother if he is the rightful heir to the owners estate (I know he is) but I must wait for confirmation.