Review of rental listing sites

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I don't think this will prevent sites trying it on in the non-commercial part of the forum though.
True, but pity to miss the fun of rooting them out.

...are asked by these guys to introduce them to the Forum?....No, I wasn't aware of it - which sites are doing this?
Several, I've lost count, and the approach is normally by cold call phoning, and it's not just the freebies either. I can't see how anyone gains by us shopping them in.

To be fair we're all in the same business: we've got a product to sell - they're there to help us sell it.

Put it like this - you're looking for the next big thing on the web. You come across, say, HR - 19,000 plus listings @ £150/year; mmmm...nice if you can get it....I'm going to start a rental listing site. Quick online database, go to apostrophe evening class, discover some eccentrics use verbs in a sentence and don't appreciate your personal spelling, forget Flash, give out a free listing or two to get the ball rolling, and Bob's your uncle.

It's those initial listings which then seem elusive. So the only choice is (a) faking it (b) freebies (c) cold-calling (d) haunting forums. You can't blame them.

From our point of view - we're usually happy with any site that gives us good quality punters (forget enquiries) at a reasonable cost.

Well, LMH is the place to meet, without peer.

Personally, if any site, free or not, can demonstrate Page 1 Google with our keywords, I'm in there like a rat along a sewer hunting for breakfast. Otherwise it's your choice if you've got the time to put together endless listings - time better spent on one's own website. (OK, Goat - get on with it, and stop pontificating).

MG
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

MG,

I agree with everything you say except that I test a rental site on its results, plain and simple.

A rental site can have apostrophes and accents and be Flash free and have high Google ratings and include databases and availability calendars but if it doesn’t produce results it’s no good to me. For me, results are enquiries which I can turn into bookings.

In the same way, I just ignore spam and scam. I couldn’t care less who they are or where they come from, I just ignore them.

In refusing to get excited about these things am I just too old-fashioned for my own good? I think I see things as they are. I’m not impressed by “celebrities� I’ve never heard of; I reject fusion (confusion) cooking; I haven’t latched onto the New World wine trail; etc, etc.

Oh! Dear, perhaps I’m beyond redemption.

Fluffy
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Dear Alan,

But that is just the collective term of Grumpy Old Gits, there are a lot of us about.

Of course, everyones circumstances are different.

We for instance have only just entered the rental market, & in a particually crowded marketplace.

We cannot rely on repeat bookings, we are still learning the ropes & at this moment in time have zero bookings for 2007.

Also we cannot afford to list on every major site. Click4 was mentioned in passing, interestingly I have had more enquiries (& a booking) than from H-R.

The trouble is that I can longer clearly remember (another GOG thing) whether I am being spammed or whether I have already shown an interest.

But I said in another posting, 'all I am looking for is one site who is able to provide me with bookings'. When one is working from such a low starting point, one is willing to pursue every avenue.

But hey, it's a glorious day here in downtown Britney :D I am back in my shorts, digging up the last of the potatos. Life could be worse.

Robert
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Robert :D

its lovely in Norfolk too weve even got midges in the garden who dont realise its Mid October....such is life... :wink: :lol:
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Robert,
But that is just the collective term of Grumpy Old Gits, there are a lot of us about.
That sounds about right.

I wouldn't worry about not having enquiries and bookings at the moment, they'll start at the turn of the year. You'll build up a bank of returners over the next couple of years, at least that's my experience.

Fluuf
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Mountain.... :D
I'm going to start a rental listing site. Quick online database, go to apostrophe evening class, discover some eccentrics use verbs in a sentence and don't appreciate your personal spelling, forget Flash, give out a free listing or two to get the ball rolling, and Bob's your uncle.
I Havent got an uncle called Bob but would love to come in partnership with you in this.......

I could do all the cold calling and emailing,

after an hour or so of my nattering theyd sign up for anything......
[if I hadnt talked them to death first.....] :wink: :roll: :lol:

And as Ive shown on numerous occassions noone can pontificate as well as me :oops: ..................................
Garri

Post by Garri »

yogomogo? I like it! Sounds like a Japanese noodle joint ;-)
Lesblancs

Post by Lesblancs »

Sorry Garri,

You have lost me there. :oops:

Robert
Garri

Post by Garri »

Ros mentioned a listings site called Yogomogo. It caught my eye because it sounded Japanese, sorta like Wagamama - a well known (pseudo) Japanese noodle joint.

Also sounds like name of one of my favourite albums, Tagomago, by the Kraut rock group Can.

Full marks to Yogomogo for choosing an interesting name. If their listing site fails expect to see a chain of noodle joints opening up ;-)
Last edited by Garri on Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.