Fridge contents

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
T-rev

Fridge contents

Post by T-rev »

A few years ago well a lot of years ago I managed a few villas and apartments in Cyprus, a area that always concerned me was fridge contents, ie kechup, jams, etc I have cleaned the containers and left them in the fridge for the next guests, and never recived any complaints, now I'm embarking on a holiday cottage of my own I wondered hoe everyone else deals with this, ie throw everything out or check all ok, clean and leave in fridge?

On a lighter side I had to return to uk during the holiday season so friend offerd to look after and clean one of the villas unbeknown to us the leaving guests were friends of the arriving guests, and kindly left a dozen of beers in the fridge, however my friend took the beers when cleaning out the fridge! I recived an email from the first quests asking what happened to the beers left for his friend, I politely explained ANY items left is removed on change over for hygiene reasons, he excepted this and apologised saying he should have pre warned me, anyway my friend enjoyed the beer! Just wondered what your thoughts are?

Thanks[/i]
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I never leave anything in the fridge - I never leave any food except salt and pepper. I think, in this day and age, people would turn their noses up at anything left and consider it unsafe/risky/dodgy/yukky.

Funnily enough, we have just got back from holiday and for the first time ever rented a self-catering apartment. We had juice, milk, some butter and jam left over. I hated throwing it away and would gladly have left it for the cleaner but suspected she might think it was work she didn't need in disposing of it.

Anything (useful) left in our own gites is taken by me - I decide the next day whether I want it or not.

Guests did once leave a rather nice box of chocolates in the 'fridge and I was tempted to tuck in to those. Thank goodness I didn't because they were only staying in another gite locally and popped back early evening saying they'd forgotten their chocolates and could they claim them. Phew, that was a close shave! Another few hours and they'd have claimed an empty box ..................
Marks

Post by Marks »

If it's open in the bin it goes.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

If it's open (jam, sauce, butter, yoghurt, milk, juice, packets of cereal, biscuits, etc) - home or bin.
If it's open and cookable (like rice or pasta), either home or left for next guests.
If it's open bottles of alcohol - home or left. (If an open bottle of wine were to be left, that would be binned as there's no way of knowing how long it's been open and generally it's seriously cheap plonk, not decent drinking wine - hence why it was left!)

Basically, it's "how would you feel to find this in your self catering kitchen?" If the answer is "Yuk" or "don't fancy using that", then don't leave it. I find things like rice, pasta, alcohol and eggs ALWAYS disappear - whether the guests have used them, or binned them, I never know.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

Personally I hate going into a place which is full of previous guests left overs, so I don't leave any old stuff from my guests. I do leave home made scones and jam, fresh butter, a variety of teas, a small bottle of milk in the fridge. Coffee is up to them. Anything left by the guests I use for myself, although most people take away everything because they come by car.
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I don't like getting other peoples left overs either so it's all removed other than salt and pepper, cooking oil and spices.

As a guest myself I have no idea how long stuff may have been sitting there or heaven forbid whether it had been tampered with so I would never use any of it.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

As per PW.

But I also leave any fruit or veg that has been left and anything that is in a squeegee bottle like honey or mayo.

Mousie
x
bobby spray

Post by bobby spray »

I recently had a guest leave frozen breast milk. I had no idea what it was and binned it. She tried to come back a few hours later to claim it.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Worst thing we had left was Insulin!!
Martha

Post by Martha »

Fridge is always emptied.
Leave: Salt, pepper, spices, herb teas. I have a nice box for these that keeps them separate, like the ones hotels have, and never have to top them up, people so often leave a box. Occasionally fruit if it's in good condition and I can't use it.

Pretty much everything else I either throw, keep for myself if particularly nice, or goes to cleaners who generally do pretty well out of the changeovers.

Drinks: Open wine goes out, closed booze goes to me or cleaners, if it's a nearly full bottle of spirits it goes in the bar for all guests.

I do allude to this when I tell people what to do at the end of the week, I usually say something along the lines of "the cleaners are always happy to use leftover ingredients and so on, so don't worry about leaving those" Unless they are French, who always take everything home (and leave the place spotless so I am not complaining!)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix