A penny tip?

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Beach Hostess

A penny tip?

Post by Beach Hostess »

What does it mean when a guest leaves a penny (heads up) on a bedside table? The guests were from Canada.I have read that it is an old fashioned
gesture to indicate they will return. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated!
The tide will return.
AndrewH

Re: A penny tip?

Post by AndrewH »

Beach Hostess wrote:What does it mean when a guest leaves a penny (heads up) on a bedside table? The guests were from Canada.I have read that it is an old fashioned
gesture to indicate they will return. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated!
I'm ever so sorry, Beach Hostess, to be the bearer of bad news and a single penny (heads up) might mean something quite different in Canada, but a little research on the web has produced a lot of answers and they all say very much the same thing:

"To leave a penny on the table with a tip means the service was above and beyond what was expected. It is a good thing. To leave just a penny means that you are not cheap but the service was poor and you did not earn a tip."

On the other hand, your guest might have put his change on the table and later, accidentally, failed to pick it all up :D