Guests and tips

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
Beach Hostess

Guests and tips

Post by Beach Hostess »

Hello Hatters,
Just curious,do your guests leave tips? We have received money,ty notes,cakes,and the most recent penny(?).
Thank you and wishing a profitable summer season to all!
The tide will return.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

No, no tips.

Before we had the Euro in Europe we used to have a charity box and suggested guests leave their loose French change in it - they couldn't take it home to change back to Sterling and might not come to France again. We collected quite a bit over a season but now the Euro is accepted in so many countries people are more inclined to hang on to it for other holidays.

Some guests come round on their last day and ask if I can use the cooking oil, some vegetables or cheese etc. they have left over and don't want to take home. They either give it to me or say they've left it in the gite and I can deal with it as I wish. I count that as a gesture which saves waste.

A few guests leave a thank you note but it's often combined with a note of something they've broken and an apology!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

My guests are incredibly generous with presents. Some bring presents from home (surprisingly, things like heavy tins of maple syrup from Canada, a jar of relish from Georgia and also from Texas - things most people would NOT want to put in their suitcases; also drying up cloths from the place they come from, mugs etc.!), and others go out and buy things specially (I got Irish cream liqueur on St Patrick's Day) so I am frequently embarrassed as basically they are paying me anyway and I don't think they should be giving presents as well. Only once did somebody give me a money tip and that covered me in confusion. I tried my hardest to refuse but he insisted. It is never something I expect so it always takes me by surprise. It is nice when it is chocolate truffles though!!
pachypach1

Post by pachypach1 »

No money left (well not if you don't count a few centimes under beds ;-) )
but I've had bunches of flowers, chocs and champagne.
always went down well lol
aasta

Post by aasta »

Mostly our German guests leave tips for our housekeeper...and we receive the occassional wine, invitation to dinner and chocolates...
aasta
kas33

Post by kas33 »

We don't ever get official tips, but we do have a tips jar for the pennies we find under the bed - just for a laugh!