www.villa-link.info anybody?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Chalky

www.villa-link.info anybody?

Post by Chalky »

I had a 'cold-call' email from these people today. Has anyone had any dealings with them?
Chalky

vrooje

Post by vrooje »

Nope, but I abhor cold calls, and perhaps I'm not hip enough, but I suspect any website that ends with .info. (Again, that could be just my own prejudice.)
Brooke
oskar

Post by oskar »

A very rough and ready guide, and the best test is to do searches on Google, but if you can´t be a****, look at the PR. Someone asked on another topic about DreamVillaRentals. Villa-Link - PR0, DVR - PR5. Enough said. :roll:
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Again Chalky ,

If you look on the other thread about Dream Villa...There offering really good deals if you have a link.....I think :?:

The site looks pretty good and is full of top of the market places like yours seems to be so if you can get a good deal
[ie free] might be worth a go....

Apparently Oskars on it and
have some properties on Mark´s website, and whilst some other sites do better in terms of enquiries, there are plenty that do worse
I really do like that quote.... :wink:
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

oskar wrote:A very rough and ready guide, and the best test is to do searches on Google, but if you can´t be a****, look at the PR. Someone asked on another topic about DreamVillaRentals. Villa-Link - PR0, DVR - PR5. Enough said. :roll:
No Oskar, I can't be a**** and nor can I understand some of your shorthand. Presumably PR is page rating/rank, but I'm not that much of a nerd and I'm not sure I know where to find it. (Some of the esoteric threads on such subjects leave me distinctly cold.)

LMH is, as I understand it, a forum where people ask others for their experience of things such as web sites, towels, cleaning services etc. Correct me if I'm wrong. :roll:
Chalky

Fraise

Post by Fraise »

You're not wrong Chalky !! :roll: I don't know what they are either :?
marcus

Post by marcus »

Chalky,

I'm sure Paolo can explain the role of LMH but clearly it extends beyond towels etc - for example discussing rental listing sites. Nerdy or not, PR is one clue as to the viability of a listing site, albeit only a small one (actual search engine results being a bigger one).

But given your disinterest, what I don't understand is why your site appear to be linked into the OMNI link circle, one of the more dubious holiday link exchange programmes, whose primary goal is to gain PR for its members?

Be that as it may, Oskar's comment is valid. However, and it is a BIG however, sometimes new sites will invest heavily in marketing in proportion to the number of properties they list, and spotting the right new site can be very successful - I am thinking of frenchholidayhomes 2-3 years ago as an example. Many don't, so spotting the good ones is the challenge.
paolo

Post by paolo »

We can talk about towels, we can also talk about more technical things, different people have different concerns, all are welcome.

PR is Google PageRank, a value from 0 to 10 attributed by Google to websites, which is supposedly based on the quality of inbound links that site receives. The idea is that the more sites that bother to link to yours, and the more relevant they are to your sector, the more relevant your site is to a search engine user. PR is a rough guide to that relevance.

Google has a PR of 10, BBC News has 9, LMH was until recently 5 and is now 4 (boo hoo).

To see the PR of a site you need to install Google’s toolbar onto your computer, which you can do here.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

marcus wrote:Chalky,

I'm sure Paolo can explain the role of LMH but clearly it extends beyond towels etc - for example discussing rental listing sites. Nerdy or not, PR is one clue as to the viability of a listing site, albeit only a small one (actual search engine results being a bigger one).
Marcus,

The point I was making was that I believe LMH exists for us to share information and experiences on a range of topics to do with renting our properties. I started this thread to find out whether anyone had had any dealings with or experience of Villa-link. I wasn't looking for its PR. (Incidentally, Oskar, if we're talking PRs, Los Castillos = 3, Luxury Villas Lanzarote = 0 8) )
Chalky

oskar

Post by oskar »

Incidentally, Oskar, if we're talking PRs, Los Castillos = 3, Luxury Villas Lanzarote = 0 8)
Suggest you take off your sunglasses, Chalky. Luxury Villas Lanzarote = 5 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Chalky

Post by Chalky »

Not according to my Google toolbar, oskar - see http://www.los-castillos.co.uk/sshot-1.jpg for the evidence, and, no, I haven't been at work with the photoshop, this is a genuine screenshot :) :wink:
Chalky

Bellywobble

Post by Bellywobble »

I've got the Google toolbar, but how do I find the PR bit on it?
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

OOER Kayley :D

I know you cant be asking ME :?: :lol:
marcus

Post by marcus »

Kayley: if it is not visible there should be a box on the toolbar marked 'options' - click on that and select 'show PR'.

Chalky: I'm afraid you're flogging a dead horse, Oskars site is a 5. I don't know how you got the screenshot but there is no doubt about it - sometimes the screen needs refreshing to show up to date PR.

Oskar: If you feel a need to link to francethisway don't hold yourself back :D Darn you I've got two PR4 sites but no PR5 yet :(
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Marcus :D

Youve got me looking now........thats very scarey.......no clue :?:

Actually that could be my nickname no clue magoo....... :? : :lol: