Classement for gites

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
JulieR

Classement for gites

Post by JulieR »

Because of the tax implications I have been looking into having our gites rated to benefit from the 71% tax allowance. As far as I can see it costs 160€ for the visit and the rating lasts five years. no annual charges for this just a one off payment?
Any advice who has done this appreciated
Julie
wendyandchris

classement

Post by wendyandchris »

Hi yes we got classified to continue receiving the 71% and it is indeed a one off payment and lasts 5 years. We were charged 170€ from Gites de France for our first gite then a lower rate for the others. The tourist office would of charged us more - this does not mean we are a gites de france property - they are (among other groups) allowed to do the classification process, so may be worth 'shopping' around. Unless you really want to 'advertise' your star rating then I would recommend requesting just 1* - otherwise your tax de sejour goes up.
JulieR

Post by JulieR »

Thanks for the info.
Julie
baringa

Post by baringa »

We have been classified since 2010 when it was just a visit from local tourist office; now as wendyandchris says, it is someone from GdeF inspecting and it was a whole lot more complicated, she had a list of boxes to tick and if we got over a certain percentage we retained our 3 star rating. I would not have been happy if I had paid the fee then got downgraded! But we passed easily.
The main reason we did it was to be a partner of the local tourist office and benefit from various activities and networking, and benefit from the allowance. It allows you to be included on their website and brochures and they will promote you, although I can't remember ever getting a booking through them! I expect it depends where you are and on the local team, but our TO is very pro-active and it is always good to be known and friendly with them, and meet other owners during the events they organise.
wendyandchris

Overhaul

Post by wendyandchris »

Yes the system is very different now than it used to be. The whole system was overhauled so a rural gite advertised with gites de france was classified to the same specifications as a hotel in Paris . They also changed things so that there is a list of essential items for each star rating for which you receive a certain number of points - you can miss a couple of things and so lose points but must have a min number of points of essential items and also a certain number of non essential points. We asked for 1 star as we only want it for the fiscal advantages , we only just scraped by on the essential points (as we do not have things like heating in every room so lost 5 points for that one - despite only being open in summer) but had 77 points in excess of non essential points as we have pool garden hot tub etc But we are still only entitled to 1 star . The more stars you request the more items become essential rather than non essential. Worth looking at the list before you request classification so you can make sure you have all the necessary essential points to receive the rating you want.
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

And make sure you have that autocuiseur!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

lasourcetranquille wrote:And make sure you have that autocuiseur!
Crikey! If only we'd had a pressure cooker, we could have had 3 or even 4 stars. As it is, we were nothing! Oh cursed fate. :D

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

lasourcetranquille wrote:
And make sure you have that autocuiseur!

We move one around gite to gite during the inspection, please dont tell anyone! :wink:
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

M has one that she takes to any of the classement appointments that her clients ask her to attend. I must be the only one that actually has one. I used one at home when I was growing up, and was bought one as a wedding present. How do you make a pan of broth without one in less than 3 days
:D
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hells Bells wrote: How do you make a pan of broth without one in less than 3 days
:D
Ooh, wonderful word - " broth " - I haven't heard that in over 50 years. Mind you, we don't all live up mountains, which I seem to associate with "broth". Do pressure cookers work at altitude?

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

They do Mols but you do need to increase the cooking time a little bit.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

The only thing i have cooked in one is a 'poule' with some veg which ended up really soggy.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Wouldn't be without one for winter soups !
What would Plato do ?
lasourcetranquille

Post by lasourcetranquille »

Funnily enough about a year after we opened we had a delightful lady from Paris who came to 'prends l'air' of the countryside. First question she asked was "where is the autocuiser".

It's the only time it's ever been used!
JP

Post by JP »

Hi
I'm a big late to the table as I haven't visited for a while, I get the 71% tax allowance although I haven't been inspected by anyone. I just applied to the town hall for permission to rent and received my signed and stamped certificate allowing me to operate as a Meublé de tourisme. I included this with my first tax return and they accepted it.