Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

How to upload website to server??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

How to build your own personal website from scratch
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: How to upload website to server?? Reply with quote

Hi techies,

Let's say I have a website ready to upload (I wish!) - how do I get started?

I have got myself an account with a host.

Do I need to download special software?

Have been browsing through forum but am still totally clueless Confused It's a total mystery to me.

Please shed light Idea Very Happy
Thanks

Jenny
marcus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That is the easy bit! A quick search will show you companies like smartftp.com and filezilla.sourceforge.net that offer good, free FTP software. (FTP is the key word you are looking for here: File Transfer Protocol, I think)

But unless you typed the code word by word in notepad... most website development software has perfectly good FTP functionality - Frontpage and Dreamweaver included. So if you have prepared a site, got hosting (and therefore a FTP password etc) the actual transfer is unlikely to be an obstacle.

Good luck, just say if you run into problems
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marcus,

This forum is brilliant - thanks very much for your speedy reply. I'm relieved something is going to be easy!

I'm a total novice, just started 'mucking about' with a few tutorials a couple of days ago. All I have done so far is get familiar with a few basics using - Gulp! - Notepad. From the gist of your message, that might present a problem when it comes to uploading?

Should I ditch Notepad and get myself some website software?
(I liked the idea of learning HTML with Notepad...). I have heard the name Dreamweaver bandied around a lot! Is this free? More importantly, is it easy to use??

Jenny
marcus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning HTML with Notepad is pretty cool if you can do it. In fact, if you never try Dreamweaver etc first it's probably pretty straightforward.

But it is more laborious to type out the definition of an image or a table than to click a few 'WYSIWYG' buttons.

If I was you, I would keep with notepad until you are completely familiar with what code should look like, then use FrontPage, but checking frequently in code view (you need to keep an eye on the WYSIWYG things or they produce 5 pages of cose instead of three lines), or write the code but keep checking in Preview mode that you didn't forget to close a command etc.

My personal view is that FrontPage and its code-view mode is much preferable to Dreamweaver (which is neither cheap or easy) - Dreamweaver just produces an awesome amount of unnecessary and tangled code. Many disagree with me on this. The more you are familiar with the code, the less important it is which software you are using.

There are other options - text editors more sophisticated than notepad and better suited to writing HTML - they can guess what HTML command you are writing, and complete it for you, for example - but I don't know which they are. Perhaps if Brooke is drifting around here she has some suggestions.

Of course if you were really cool you would install Drupal or Joomla and build the site online...easy, and not too much reason to stare at the code either...
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markus, that's great: thanks for all those valuable pointers. Given me a whole load to chew on!

Next step: Google Frontpage, Jubbly-Bubbly and all the rest of 'em!

Thanks again!
Mountain Goat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenny
Although you've probably been steered off Dreamweaver, you could always give it a spin for a month - legal and free:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Professionals in general don't like DW, but there's so many add-ons and extensions published (many free) it can be tempting.

MGoat
vrooje

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I liked the idea of learning HTML with Notepad...).

Wonderful! I firmly believe that if you learn without anything but a text editor, you really learn it, whereas if you use a program like Dreamweaver or Frontpage, you have to make the effort to figure out what's going on behind the scenes.

I use EditPad rather than Notepad, because it's quite a bit more powerful. When I'm at home, I use the professional version, which costs $50 and has all the features I need (like color syntax highlighting), but they also have a free version which is still ten times better than Notepad. Another good editor is TextPad, though I don't know a lot about it -- my husband uses it and likes it.

As for FTP, I use CoreFTP, because it's free, and can do everything I need it to do. The only difference with using one program to edit pages and another to FTP is that you'll have to keep both programs open and switch between them to upload after you've edited a page. Not a huge deal.

Though, as I've said before, I use Dreamweaver when I can get my hands on it, because the FTP is integrated (no switching windows). But I use the Code View of DW, which makes it like a fancy text editor. I really just can't stand all that WYSIWYG stuff... my own limitation. Smile

Good luck!
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Once again, the forum has proved to be a wonderful resource - these are all great pointers to get me going...lifts the mist in several areas.

Many thanks to you all for your comments.

Jenny
Big Sis..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jenny, Very Happy

Good Luck,

with all these clever & more Importantly

VERY Helpful people You cant go wrong!!!!!!

Wish I was as Bwave
[yes I meant bwave] Wink Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ros,

I think you should dive in at the deep end - plenty of support out there, it seems!

Have a good day - erk, Friday 13th !!!
Big Sis..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jenny fwend....[and for the pm] Very Happy

Theres support for you
but I think if I dived in someone would hold me Down[IM ONLY JOKING] at the moment.... Crying or Very sad Wink Laughing

As Ive said on numerous occasions

Just because Im paranoid doesnt mean it isnt true Rolling Eyes

Got to go Ive just dropped a stitch....Friday 13th eh....... Evil or Very Mad
marcus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One software I have just been looking at and you might want to take a look is 1st Page 2006 from
http://www.evrsoft.com/

It looks pretty good, it's more code oriented than FrontPage/DW but still has preview etc and best of all it's free.

Good luck with the site.
giofed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to upload website to server?? Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Hi techies,

Let's say I have a website ready to upload (I wish!) - how do I get started?

I have got myself an account with a host.

Do I need to download special software?

Have been browsing through forum but am still totally clueless Confused It's a total mystery to me.

Please shed light Idea Very Happy
Thanks

Jenny

Hello Jenny,

the FTP I use, trust and love is CUTE FTP from Globalscape.

It is not free, but let me tell you, this is a good, stable and reliable product. 30 bucks are REALLY worth it. Other free FTPs are not even worth the disk space they are on!

Hope this helped! Smile
Rocket Rab

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Giofed,

Thanks for the tip. I went with a recommendation from someone else in the end, and worked out how to upload what I need (easy when you know how!).

Now I just have to create something worth uploading Very Happy
vrooje

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuteFTP is a good program, and it's been around for ages, so it has some seniority points. Smile

I'm not sure I agree with the statement that free FTP programs aren't any good, though. The interface may not be quite as slick, and they may not have as many bells and whistles, but there are at least a couple that are quite good.

When it comes down to it, all an FTP program needs to do is allow you to select one of your files and say, "I want it to go here" on some remote server. (And, of course, transfer files the other way, too.) Sometimes the connection needs to be secure, but not usually. All the other stuff is extraneous.
How to build your own personal website from scratch