Advice needed re rats,please.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Hi all - been in France, and though lurking every so often at the local internet cafe, I haven't posted as the process was too slow - PC and not the Mac I'm used to, crazy French keyboard - do you know, to get a full stop you need both hooves!

We have the plug-in mouse (rat?) repellant thingies all around our French property, and they seem to work. Brookie, I have totally normal hearing, and these ones are deffo emitting a signal that not even your state of the art ears would pick up, I suspect. We have had no comments from guests about them, they are neat and discreet - and effective, pretty well! That's saying something, as the field comes almost up to our doors there. The ones you can buy in France emit an audible signal; you'd have to be desperate to succumb and get a job lot. Ours came from the UK, and we use each with a continental adaptor. I will happily give anyone who's interested the details. There is something wrong with the relevant website at present, otherwise I'd have posted it here.

Mouse dear, if you're listening, nothing personal, you're lovely, and you and your pink handbag are always welcome in our home. Just don't bring the rellies. 8)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi Gascony....Youre back :D :D

MG said youd gone on trot about...

Hope you had a good time..........youve been sorely missed.... :wink: :cry: :roll:

OOPS Sorry :oops: ...I knew a rat once........
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Ros wrote:...I knew a rat once........
Yups... you mean the two-legged variety; kissed a few of those too, before I met my handsome prince. I don't think a plug-in supersonic gadget-thingy would be an effective deterrant in the case of vermin of this kind, unless of course, simply shoved in.... no, I'd better not continue this theme, it's unseemly for a goat of my superior breeding.

So, anyone a taker for Coopers of Stortford?
Last edited by Giddy Goat on Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocket Rab

Post by Rocket Rab »

You're back, GG!

And with excellent advice on the rat theme :D

Hope you enjoyed good 'ol France.
Jenny
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

:D :wink: Thanks Jenny - good to be back too!
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

Should I set up a travelling vermin removal agency using my four Burmese cats? Exclusively for pet friendly properties of course.

You don’t have to plug them in (the very thought brings tears to my eyes) and they're most effective; except against the human variety. For them a more drastic treatment is called for.

Fluffy
chrismooney

Post by chrismooney »

my neighbour in the uk uses a humane wire trap...said he got it on the internet which baits them in , drops the door then you can dispose of them as you see fit....he drowns them in a bucket!!!
have used glue pads before....sticky pads with bait in the middle....they run on to feed...can't run off....up to you to dispose of them.
just bear in mind...doubt if any of your guests would be too impressed on seeing, hearing or smelling any traces of vermin...wouldn't be good for business!!! and the thought of having little children there at the same time would certainly get rid of any sympathy towards any of these creatures. just remember that a prolific spreader of germs ,infections and diseases would not be welcome in many places open to the public??!!
chef who will try anything!!
gh

Post by gh »

Got to agree with Jane, we have the sonic ones which to my hearing only omit a click noise and so far have no rodents who stay and dont pay apart from friend and family that is.:)

Rats make me feel uneasy, you expect to see mice where your place is surrounded by fields and would be very uncomfortable if I saw rats, doing the right thing Kayley; get in the profs.

They will get the little 'freeloaders'.
Big Sis..

Post by Big Sis.. »

Hi All
no rodents who stay and dont pay apart from friend and family that is.
Same here Johnnel , Youve met my lot then!!! :lol: :lol:

Hi Kayley
hope you get it sorted soon Im sure you will...keep us posted..... :wink: :D
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

Johnel, glad you're a supporter of those plug-in gadgets too - but the ones I'm talking about don't even click - were yours bought in the UK?
garlic

Post by garlic »

I really wouldn't use the sticky things...I'm terrified of mice and rats but when we had them in one of our houses the pest control people put the sticky things down, I'm afraid I just didn't think of the implications of them as I just wanted NO mice...They are awful inhumane and nasty, poor creatures get stuck can't get off and die a terrible death, it's so distressing and for us what I hadn't realised was that they also trapped some beautiful geckos and other little lizards...can't say it enough...horrible, horrible...Just my opinion
gh

Post by gh »

Gascony Goat wrote:Johnel, glad you're a supporter of those plug-in gadgets too - but the ones I'm talking about don't even click - were yours bought in the UK?
No Jane, bought in France, when I say click the click is a very soft one every minute I think.
Alan Knighting

Post by Alan Knighting »

The "click" is there so that you know that the device is working.

Fluffy
Giddy Goat

Post by Giddy Goat »

I suppose you get used to the click if you're living there. The proof of our device working is the absence of mice. The gadgets have been in place 18 months now and so far, there has just been one sighting - I think it entered via the utility room, which then didn't have a gadget plugged in, but now does. It is worth putting them in upstairs rooms as well.