AA taking over Visit England Quality Assessments

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

zebedee wrote: "Would that be the beginning or end of September?" Said I. "Probably near the end" said Vicky.... "it's a complex project".
As the AA already has a website listing their inspected properties, why can't they just use copy the code from that one? Why is the VE scheme so much more expensive than the AA's anyway?
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

newtimber wrote:
zebedee wrote: "Would that be the beginning or end of September?" Said I. "Probably near the end" said Vicky.... "it's a complex project".
As the AA already has a website listing their inspected properties, why can't they just use copy the code from that one? Why is the VE scheme so much more expensive than the AA's anyway?
We had our VE inspection yesterday. They are being run as two separate businesses but none of the staff have a clue as to what is going on.

Jonathan
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

zebedee wrote:
So to all members of the VE scheme, can we please keep some pressure up on this. It really is unacceptable as has been stated previously, that members who pay a decent amount of money to be in a quality scheme have had there existence wiped off the VE websites and potential guests have no way of searching and verifying accommodation providers. I have actually received both bookings and enquiries from the VE website previously.
I’ve just sent another email, this time headed “Is Visit England abandoning self-catering owners?" to the generic VisitEnglandAssessmentServices@ TheAA.com email address; last time I drew a stock response from an admin assistant.

Trying to find alternative ways to get through to someone who might take notice, I eventually decided to copy in the CEO of Visit Britain sally.balcombe@ visitbritain.org
Somebody might reply, but I doubt I’ll get any answers.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I was interested in seeing whether VE has actually got a website yet and they have. It's http://selfcatering.visitor-guides.co.uk.

It's one of the worst websites I've seen. If you search for self-catering in the whole of the South East of England for one week from 8 December in one unit, I am shown 15 properties. Can this be right? Is everyone booked up in this week? Not only that, there is no website details or any details whatsoever, just a phone number and address and a pin on a map. Trying to find out more, I deleted the date and redid the search and the map shows up with a property in the middle of the sea off Ghana! And some of the properties now have a smart red "details and book" button though to understand how this works is a challenge and I gave up. It appears to use Guestlink. I'm wondering whether some property owners are updating Guestlink calendars and if not whether their properties are automatically marked unavailable?

Does anyone who has renewed their subscription know what is going on and what the plans are and whether it's worthwhile renewing?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Surely that's not the official site? It's terrible! We've been toying with the idea if getting graded for ages but are really not sure it's worth it if we can't link to a credible official listing to prove it.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Newtimber wrote
I was interested in seeing whether VE has actually got a website yet and they have. It's http://selfcatering.visitor-guides.co.uk.
I tried this link and was pretty appalled at the errors for my property, including price, and the fact that I was listed after numerous other properties which were not actually in my village, often pages down the list. Also, I disappeared altogether when the filters were applied eg Wifi

I rang the Visit England@the AA leaving messages. today, I managed to get hold of Laura (tel 01256 491111) who is responsible for the Visit England@AA website .
After a long discussion to clarify which website I was talking about, she was able to tell me that the above link is nothing to do with the AA, but the website belongs to Hudson's media.

Hudson's media tried several times some years ago to sell me advertising space when changes at Visit England resulted in Hudsons being established to provide advertising for members - oh but at an additional huge cost. The fact that I declined to participate and pay to be with Hudson's is probably why I am listed so low with so many inaccuracies on their site.

Laura said that Visit England @AA have now got a test site up and running, but not one available for the public to view. I was quite firm and said I had heard all this before. She said there had been technical problems and delays,although they had expected the site to be live by the end of September it will now be November (I was tempted to ask her to confirm the year, but held back on that one).
she said communication will go out to al of us members when the site is live, and we will be given opportunity to submit comments.
when I asked if there would be a link to our websites, she said "no, not in phase one, that would come as a result of members feedback".

I know I struggled to keep my voice calm at this point, as I explained to her that a link to our websites is essential, and why would a member of the public have to log out to do a search on every property name that they think is marginally of interest to them. I furthermore cannot believe that they have waited so long to undertake a consultation that could have happened in April. I also said I cannot believe that the phase 2 completion can possibly be live before the end of march, so we will have lost a whole year of a service that we have paid for and are not getting.

I got the impression that the decisions are made by someone higher up the food chain than Laura, so can I ask LMHatters to also ring and try and find out who we really need to speak with an influence, as this is a dreadful service.
Tournesol

Post by Tournesol »

Just tried searching for a room in Chester, different critera several times, and just get a blue square and "your search has been unsuccessful".
What you've never had you never miss!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

newtimber wrote:I was interested in seeing whether VE has actually got a website yet and they have. It's http://selfcatering.visitor-guides.co.uk.

It's one of the worst websites I've seen. If you search for self-catering in the whole of the South East of England for one week from 8 December in one unit, I am shown 15 properties. Can this be right? Is everyone booked up in this week? Not only that, there is no website details or any details whatsoever, just a phone number and address and a pin on a map. Trying to find out more, I deleted the date and redid the search and the map shows up with a property in the middle of the sea off Ghana! And some of the properties now have a smart red "details and book" button though to understand how this works is a challenge and I gave up. It appears to use Guestlink. I'm wondering whether some property owners are updating Guestlink calendars and if not whether their properties are automatically marked unavailable?

Does anyone who has renewed their subscription know what is going on and what the plans are and whether it's worthwhile renewing?
If they use Guestlink then I’m not surprised t’s not up to date. It’s a nightmare to use for self catering. Ok for hotels and b n bs.
russellt

Post by russellt »

zebedee wrote: when I asked if there would be a link to our websites, she said "no,
These restrictive practices are doomed.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

This all sound hopeless. I must admit I held back my renewal VE annual membership payment this year a student hadn’t heard anything from anyone about the inspection and worried that in the swap over the the AA for this role itnwoud all fall apart. Well I did pay up eventually but only as I wanted to use the VE last star rating and gold award for a regional awards application). I’ve heard nothing at all and can’t imagine they will get around to inspecting me this year now... :roll:
So much to learn....so little time!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Just re-visiting this subject - we haven't taken the plunge with grading yet but are considering it for one of our houses. There still doesn't seem to be anywhere online where guests can verify a particular property's grading. Is that right?
Jo

greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I received an email in late January from the new MD of VE Assessment Services, this is an extract:

We have three exciting launches over the next few months:

Our new website, which on launch will contain news and content about the Schemes we provide and Quality Standards. The next stage of development will include a live listing of all our scheme members.

A new magazine this spring to replace the previous Quality Edge magazine.

Some new member benefits, bringing additional value to your membership.

The assessor who came to see us a few weeks ago (a new face to us) agreed with my suggestion that the move from QiT to the AA was an almighty cock-up, completely mishandled and badly planned, if indeed it was planned at all. Someone missed the need to ensure a smooth transition including the website (which was owned by QiT...)

So the short answer to your question Joanna is: Correct. There still isn’t a simple way for anyone to validate a grading (someone can always contact VE Assessment Services directly and ask about a specific property, but IMO that’s neither simple nor particularly helpful).
But there will be. Some day. maybe.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Thanks Greenbarn. I think we won't rush into it but keep an eye on it. Maybe we'll do it later this year when they've sorted themselves out.
Jo

newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I've gone with the AA and it's just so much cheaper. All people really want to know if that it's been assessed by someone. With so many online reviews nowadays, does anyone bother with ratings from VE anyway?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Thanks Newtimber - I hadn't thought of going to the AA! I'll look into it.
Jo