Subtle changes to Airbnb settings

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
cpelwood

Subtle changes to Airbnb settings

Post by cpelwood »

This may just be something I have not noticed before but I think airbnb have changed their settings. I was under the impression that people could only book a rolling year in advance - hence I would endeavor to keep prices up to date for that period. I have just had an enquiry for a week in aug 2018 using a low base nightly rate which came in way less than what I would normally charge. I use "set weekly rates" from april to September - however these can only be set up to a rolling year in advance. I had to send him a one off special offer which was way higher so I am sure he will not be interested.
The way to re-set your preferences to only one year is
Listings- Availability-Reservation Preferences- Booking Window.
The drop down booking window by default was on "all future dates" (which I think is a change???)
Jake
Character Farm Cottages
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

By trial and error and because I got a one night stay requested ( which I don't do) in a period I knew I had not made available (but it was showing available! ), I discovered that the only safe setting in that order of moves is to choose " Dates unavailable by default" and then go into the calendar and make only the dates you want open become open. If you make it three months or six months or whatever, the calendar sneakily opens dates, day by day, after that period and you could get a request for a date you had no idea was showing available.
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

I fell a bit foul of this last June because in the location of a property I list there is an annual event with crazy prices 3x the median rate. It’s difficult to cover for entirely, but so long as instant book isn’t enabled you don’t need to accept requests, and so far (though it could change I suppose) if you don’t accept, there’s no penalty. But, if you like to appear considerate, a response is necessary.

At https://www.airbnb.com/manage-listing/# ... gs=pricing you specify Base Price (or risk your neck with so-called smart pricing).

It’s possible to browse without specifying a date (date = ‘anytime’), and if you do it will show the prices for the property at the specified base rate - which is a way to potentially game ABB, though I doubt it has much mileage. The thing to do is stay on top of it. FelicityA, you say it’s sneakily opening dates. I understand how you feel but this is just a system which is doing ‘what it says on the tin’ to use a cliché.

When on calendar, availability settings allows you to change ‘Booking window’. On another property limited to 3 months ahead I amended to 6 months and changed the price for 3 months plus 1 day (12 August) to a specific price which is far from the base price, then changed it back to 3 months booking window. I’ll report back tomorrow.
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

OK that worked. The date was greyed out yesterday; today it's showing the high price which I put in. It hasn't reverted to 'base price'.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

But I can't really see the point of putting in a price at all for dates you are not yet opening up? As the system opens up dates one day beyond your 3 months then people are going to see off-putting prices and are not going to enquire for dates ahead, surely because they think it is too expensive?

Why not close down all the dates by default and then just open up the ones you want to display with the prices you want to offer?
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

I know what you mean, but for this property which I’ve only just started marketing it’s the only place where it’s listed, so all dates are available at the moment when I’m here to deal with stays. What I’m trying to avoid is weekends going for less than they might otherwise. I know there’s weekend pricing, but it’s only one figure. As you say, manually managing it is the most flexible way.