How to leave Homeaway if you still have guests

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
lizamaneli

How to leave Homeaway if you still have guests

Post by lizamaneli »

This happens every year - no bookings from Homeaway and then just the one before i have to resubscribe.
Guests due in August, first payment made. I don't want to renew my subscription now in May and guests are worried they lose insurance coverage. They are happy to pay the second instalment in another manner but i am not sure what insurance Homeaway really offers them and if it is still valid if the host (us) is no longer on Homeaway.
Homeaway couldn't care less if i cancel my subscription and i don't want to pay 400 dollars for the hope of breaking even. What would you do? Thanks everyone
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Couldn't you change to pay-per-book if you only have 1 booking per year?
lizamaneli

Post by lizamaneli »

apparently not, no reason given and it doesn't appear as an option where i had read it might
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Why don't you ask your visitors what their HA insurance actually covers. You may find that it's minimal, and may be covered by their credit card or their normal travel insurance.

I have heard that some listing site insurances only cover availability of the holiday accommodation, and even then they ask visitors to first claim from their credit card provider? Anyone know if this is true? I would like to be aware on behalf of potential visitors?

I believe they "guarantee" to immediately supply a replacement holiday let if any of us fail to provide our accomodation as agreed. I can't see this working in the depths of Cornwall on a Saturday evening.
The best things in life are free
lizamaneli

Post by lizamaneli »

Thank you for your input, much appreciated.
So, update. Back and forth emailing all day with homeaway resulting in their standard cut and paste blurb gradualllyyyyy being honed down to, if you are going to be a pain, we'll cancel your subscription for you early, add the pay-per-booking button and bobs your uncle. Have done and duly thanked them. Now i don't have to pay exorbitant fee, probably won't get any bookings either, but i don't have to put the guest or myself in a difficult position.

Specifically i asked - why can't you put the button on my dashboard and why do i have to ring you to get it? They then agreed the above which is what i wanted 3 days ago...
Hope this helps others. Have a great Summer.
lizamaneli

Post by lizamaneli »

ps. I don't contribute much to this site (or anywhere else for that matter!) but over the years i have found it comforting if i don't read around too much, blinkered as it were, so as not to have a heart attack. Thanks to Paolo and all contributers. It fills a gap.