Air bnb costs to hosts

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
barbersdrove

Air bnb costs to hosts

Post by barbersdrove »

i'm registering as a host on this site but don't want to commit until I know what their chrges are to me. I an't find it anywhere on the site. There ws one link through to 'host service fee' but it went nowhere with an 'ooops can't find that page' notice. anyone out there who uses them please enlighten me re their commission.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

They will charge you a fee which is nominally 3% including VAT. As they round to the nearest pound, euro or whatever it won’t necessarily be exactly this.

On top of the price you specify for the night(s) they will charge your guests a fee which is between 6 and 12%. As far as I can tell, it will be 12% until it is £500, decreasing gradually until £1000+ when it will be 6% (if anyone is aware of more specific break points I’d be interested to know).

This is if your guest is paying in your currency. If they aren’t, they will pay an additional 3% to cover for potential currency fluctuations between now and when airbnb pays you (one day after they arrive, assuming it all goes ok). Receipt into your account might be a few days later, because bank transfers aren’t necessarily instant.

Airbnb guests currently pay the full price on booking. The strictest cancellation policy you can choose is '50% refund up until 1 week prior to arrival’. You can request up to 30 or up to 60 days prior to arrival, but this may not necessarily be granted. For cancellation on these bases I believe the owner fee is 5%.

So overall Airbnb can cost between 9% and 21% of the overall price which the guest pays, depending on the variable factors.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Great post Bordering!
I confess I wasn't aware how much AirBnB charged extra to guests until I had a repeat guest who booked through them the second time and I was trying to get the price within their budget and was quite shocked at how much Airbnb charged to guests compared to my price.I didn't think it was as high as 10% or more.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

yes, thank you for that very comprehensive reply. Nowhere on the site that I can see is it made so explicit! If I was a guest and saw a price for a room, say £18 pr night I think I would blanch when an additional 12% is added to that.

Lots of my relatives and friends are using it to book when they go away. Trip Advisor seems to have faded from their minds which is a shame as we have such a lot of good reviews on there.

The issue I have with it now the fees thing is settled is their cancellation policy is adrift of mine so it would mean I have to amend all my info on my website and other marketing channels.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)
kg1

Post by kg1 »

barbersdrove wrote:yes, thank you for that very comprehensive reply. Nowhere on the site that I can see is it made so explicit! If I was a guest and saw a price for a room, say £18 pr night I think I would blanch when an additional 12% is added to that.

Lots of my relatives and friends are using it to book when they go away. Trip Advisor seems to have faded from their minds which is a shame as we have such a lot of good reviews on there.

The issue I have with it now the fees thing is settled is their cancellation policy is adrift of mine so it would mean I have to amend all my info on my website and other marketing channels.
Push them on their 30 day cancellation. I complained and complained and would not activate my advert until I got it. I also know of one other LMH member who got their 60 days cancellation policy and I will be pushing for that soon too. They will do it if you push hard enough. Call them 020 3318 1111
annafern

Post by annafern »

Just tried calling the number you put up kyreniagirl.

I have just had a booking canceled, two days before they were arriving. I won't get any money back as AirBnB are insisting that when that booking was made I didn't have a strict cancelation policy in place.

I totally refute that my advert had no cancelation policy in place and whats more the point, when I originally set up the advert the strict policy meant 30 days and now they have changed that to 7.

I complained bitterly and asked them to extend my 7 days to 30 days and they have said there is nothing they cad do about it.

They will be sending me a screen shot of the advert when the booking was made and also a link to where I can air my options.

Anna