Booking.com - can you live in UK if villa is in Spain?

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Gazpacho

Booking.com - can you live in UK if villa is in Spain?

Post by Gazpacho »

Struggling with signing up with booking.com! My house is in Spain but I live in the UK. But it won't let me put an invoice address in the UK. Does that mean I can't put the house on the site if I don't live in Spain? Anyone else in this situation? Am I missing something obvious?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I live in the UK, and property is in France, the invoice address on BC is my UK one. But I set up the account a couple of years ago, so perhaps something has changed? Message them through the dashboard for assistance.
CSE

Post by CSE »

they keep chaining what they call the the intranet.
If you eve have difficulties you phone them. It is quick and painless they will always help you out.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Emmy

Post by Emmy »

I appear to have set up an account with them for our Umbrian cottage without many problems, and I live in France. (I advertise our B&B here in France with them too, but for simplicity, I've kept this separate, registering in my husband's name.)
Anyway... I can't remember which bank details we gave for payment but it was either the UK account or the French one (French I think) and that appears to have gone through ok. My only problem now - in order for the listing to be published - is that they insist on sending out a verification code to the house (understandable), but of course I don't have access right now... My friend, though, recently picked up a Google Maps code for me, so it's verified on Google maps already, so I've just written back to Booking dot com to see if they will accept that. If not, I'll have to rely on my friend again...
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Thank you everyone!
I hung on the phone for ages and was told that for houses in Spain payments have to be made to a Spanish bank account. That would be OK, it's just the invoice address that is a problem. The chap on the phone had no idea about the invoice address though. Perhaps Booking.com won't work for us after all. I'll try to speak to them again today.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Did you have any luck Gazpacho?
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Gazpacho

Post by Gazpacho »

Yes, in the end it turned out that invoices are only sent by email, so the address doesn't matter anyway!
But I got so frustrated with the site generally that I blocked out all our availability! I don't like the fact that you can't have any control over who stays in your house. I couldn't describe the house properly on their site either. Maybe I'll try it again some time for dates that are hard to fill.
sylvainbg

Post by sylvainbg »

Why not putting an higher price on booking.com so if you have guests it's worth it.
CSE

Post by CSE »

sylvainbg wrote:Why not putting an higher price on booking.com so if you have guests it's worth it.
You cannot do that. If booking finds out you will be removed. Hence their lowest price guarantee.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I've been considering B.com but have read through all the related threads on here and really there's nothing to inspire me at all!
Kathy
sylvainbg

Post by sylvainbg »

If you have several rooms yes I agree but if you have one room I don't think it can be any problems.

I have also different cancelation policies compare to booking.com
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I have one house that sleeps 12, the whole house is let. It really seems to be geared up for hotels and B&Bs.
Kathy
sylvainbg

Post by sylvainbg »

my place is an apartment that can sleep up to 8 persons. I have around 70-80% of my business from booking.com
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

casasantoestevo wrote:
sylvainbg wrote:Why not putting an higher price on booking.com so if you have guests it's worth it.
You cannot do that. If booking finds out you will be removed. Hence their lowest price guarantee.
Not necessarily true - here in France you don't have to have the same price. However, there must be a difference in your terms and conditions... easy for us as we ask for a deposit for direct bookings and nothing for bc bookings. Basically, 'lowest price guarantee' should read, 'lowest price guarantee with these conditions'.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Ecosses
You have read things correctly.
sylvainbg siad
Why not putting an higher price on booking.com so if you have guests it's worth it.
To which I relied with
I stand by that. To illustrate my argument you have to read this Issued by the EU and covers every country which is a member of the EAA.
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-14-2661_en.htm

The important bit.
To alleviate these concerns, Booking.com has proposed to abandon the parity requirement in respect of prices which the hotel makes available to other OTAs. This would enable hotels to offer different room prices to different OTAs. However, the hotel would still have to offer the same or better room prices to Booking.com as are offered on the hotel's own online and offline booking channels. The commitments are intended to apply EEA-wide.