Keysafe Headache

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
jazzuk777

Keysafe Headache

Post by jazzuk777 »

Having just inadvertently snapped the pins in a supposedly robust Supra C500 just before our first set of guests, I'm looking for a totally reliable and durable keysafe - any ideas?

The mechanism in the Supra is ridiculous - use half a ton of pig iron to make the casing, then use £0.01's worth of brittle plastic to make the mechanism inside...
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
Marks

Post by Marks »

I've used this one for years without problem:

www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-5-key-co ... safe/77908
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

Marks wrote:I've used this one for years without problem:

Thanks
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

I've seen this thread which is worrying on several fronts - not sure how likely problems are but don't want to be having to drive up with a key (or trying to pick the safe/smash it)
http://www.laymyhat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17869
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

ditto +1 puchased from amazon & has been sitting pretty at my main property door for 3 years however i only use it if late arrivals

i even use one at my private apartment door incase i forget my key ...lol
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

+1
It's trade name is "MasterLock". I installed two nine years ago - one for the rental and one for home - and they still work fine.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

In the Questions and Answers on the site pointed at by this link, it says

"The Select Access 5401EURD is not approved by insurance companies. To enable our consumers to choose a level of security based on their needs and budget, the Select Access range offers a complete line of key lock boxes that offer escalating levels of security."

Needless to say, it's difficult to find out on the screwfix website, the model that they're selling.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We use Master Locks on both houses and have had them for over 13 years. Not the same one - I think we're on our 3rd now. After a few years the cover gets stiff to open which can be fixed with some WD40 up to a point and then they need replacing.

They're almost foolproof - although we have had people align the numbers across the top instead of the middle.

We tried a Supra C500 at home and within a few days it jammed. It's hard to explain but it has a fatal design flaw - if the keys fall forwards they can wedge against the inside of the cover so that it can't slide down and you can't get at the code. Fortunately I was still at home when we discovered it and I managed to force the cover down far enough to poke some tweezers behind it to put the code in. Now I know to make sure the keys always lean against the back. Not something I could guarantee that cleaners or guests would remember to do.

I know the Master key safes can be cracked but it probably takes more effort than breaking a window and they're more visible to passers by, at least in our case.

There are also much more expensive digital locks which are worth looking into - no keys needed, just a pin number that you can reset remotely.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

jazzuk777 wrote:

Thanks
We were asked to help a friend when guests managed to jam the above keysafe. It took about 30 seconds to break through the plastic cover and to the contents inside - with only a largish screw driver.

"Safe" is somewhat misnamed!!

One to avoid in our honest opinion if you are looking for secure storage rather just somewhere to put a key.
Martha

Post by Martha »

We've used the master lock without problems for years too. They make a more reinforced one if you prefer.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock-r ... safe/58460

BTW I'm adding a second one in a very discreet place as an extra - if you have room I think this is an excellent idea if you're not onsite, as you can't rely on guests to leave a key if someone needs to access the property for repairs, and is an emergency backup in case of a broken safe.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

Hi - thanks for all replies so far - the issue we are concerned about primarily, certainly over more than a reasonable level of
security, is absolute reliability - the other thread I linked to above suggest it is easy for the code to be accidentally changed and we don't want one that will do that or where the mechanism can easily be jammed/damaged...
KHCottage

Post by KHCottage »

Had an issue with our mastersafe one this week, coincidentally, the guests could not open it. I went round and tried myself and also couldn't. I had my keys so let them in. After a number of attempts I opened it, it is only a few months old. I will investigate further once the guests have gone but I think it might work better with just one key storred inside. It had two keys a tag and ring maybe too much and somehow caused a jam.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

That was my thread. :) I still use the safes, but the properties are on a park. I would look at a different make or model if I was in a less secure location.
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

Our master lock had to be replaced after a couple of years and we bought a Yale keysafe. Much more robust and no problems with about 4 years use.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I've had no problems whatsoever with the Supra C500 (apart from the front cover dropping down when the Andalusian sun shines too strongly on it!) I guess all devices can have their issues, but the fact that this one is such high spec and approved by insurance companies is reassuring. Have you contacted Keysafe with your comments/concerns?