Take credit cards on personal website

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
mousey

Take credit cards on personal website

Post by mousey »

Hi, newbie here. We have just set up a personal website for our villa rental in Tenerife
We need to be able to take credit cards but not through Paypal as they charge 3.4%
Please can anyone recommend a credit card system?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Waveapps and Stripe (1.4%) might be worth a look.

www.waveapps.com
mousey

Post by mousey »

thanks had a look at stripe but no phone number on their website
thinking of using avaibook.com does anyone have any experience of these accepting your credit cards
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

Another one worth looking at is http://www.freetobook.com/

Stripe doesn't necessarily have to be integrated into a booking system. You can create an account, verify it to make it live, and then use it to manually process payments from card numbers provided to you by guests.
CSE

Post by CSE »

our web hosting sent an email just last week about this subject.
If you wish to take CC details then maybe you should also read this lot of "paper work"
https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/document_library
This covers via your own website or third party ones as being suggested above.
Talking of which, do not all of these CC processing services charge commission?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Forget Stripe, that's the backroom of Wave. You want Wave invoicing. 1.4% for UK and Europe based cards. You just send an invoice to the guest, they pay, the funds arrive in your Wave account and when you want them you create a payout from Stripe which as I said handles the back end of Wave.

https://www.waveapps.com/invoice/

https://www.waveapps.com/payments/
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

I used the Stripe API in a payment system, and that’s subject to PCI DSS assessment, as is taking card details in person or by phone.

Waveapps looks to be a really good low cost solution, and PCI DSS compliance is handled by them. Begs the question, why do the big sites charge at least twice as much?
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Wave do charge 2.9% for out of Europe cards.
mousey

Post by mousey »

I am looking at stripe, thanks for the suggestion as seems to be the lowest rate as we are charging 6000€ a week for our villa so the fees are very important.
dO I HAVE TO HAVE SSL OR TLS SIGNATURE INSTALLED TO ACCEPT STRIPE
Does anyone have stripe setup on their website where I can look

Will also look at wave although I understand the main difference is that I issue invoices from wave, strip will be on my website?

Thanks
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

Are you wanting to offer instant booking on your website? We prefer some guest contact before proceeding, therefore Wave/Stripe suits us perfectly and no compliance hoops to jump through.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

dcon4 wrote:Does anyone have stripe setup on their website where I can look
Yes, I have, so see my signature below. Don't ask me anything technical about it, because I leave that side of things to others. I have had Stripe on the site for about 18 months with no complaints from me or anyone else. Most guests pay by card through Stripe and I carry the cost, which I make up for in other ways.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Once Wave is set up, it automatically means you have a Stripe Account, which you can use independently of Wave. I use PIMs (holidayrentalmanagement.com) to take the bookings on my website, and have Stripe, Paypal and Bank transfer set up as payment options. I've got a Jotform embedded for the Stripe payment.
mousey

Post by mousey »

hi, no we don't want to offer instant booking as need to verify guests first as don't want hen parties / stags etc

I've narrowed it down to waves or strip but not sure!

This site is great by the way, much appreciated
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Wave will set you up with a Stripe account anyway, so I'd just set up a Waveapps account and take it from there.
mousey

Post by mousey »

Ok, I have set up a waves account which also let me set up a stripes account

A couple of quick questions,

1)does anyone display a waves logo on their website to say we accept their payments

2) I have added my bank account to stripes and on waves account it says credit card payments managed by stripes
bank account: CASH IN HAND

do I need to alter anything here?

3) Is there any way I can set up the amounts for my standard rental charges as presets in waves to save me manually adding them each time

Many thanks for all your help