Use of kitchen in a B&B

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

On both this thread and on others, I think you've been a bit oversensitive, Casasantoestevo. No one is being disrepsectful, they are just making accurate observations that they know others have experienced.

To observe that the average Dutch family brings their own provisions is no different to observing that the average Dutch person is tall and struggles to stretch out in an average French bed. Is it disrespectful to note that a Dutchman is tall? No, of course not - it's just a national trait. I'd even go as far as to say that to not observe theses traits shows a lack of interest in people... which isn't something our guests will appreciate.

p.s. as a Scot, married to an Irishman, we always sneak a bottle of something into the b&b room... and also being pseudo Dutch, I head off on holiday with several day's provisions in the car... well, it's practical! :lol:
CSE

Post by CSE »

So near the border of Scotland the English act more like Scots or the Scots more like English?
Borders are of historical interests not for defining so call traits of a nation.
Maybe read this all the way through including the criticisms
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_psychology
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Pirou

Post by Pirou »

casasantoestevo wrote:
zebedee wrote:It's not unusual for a basic guest kitchen of sorts in B&Bs in USA.
This one is not situated in The USA and so do not expect the use of any kitchen.
We have had a comment that tea making facilities would be welcomed. Sorry this is a Casa Rural in Spain we don't do that sort of thing.

Do not let them into the kitchen not even to talk to you. Some areas have to be off limits to guests.
I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. Are you saying that at your place, guests have no facilities for making a cup of tea or coffee?

If that is what you're saying well that's your decision of course but in 2017 not to be allowed a hot drink if one wakes up at 5am seems strange to me. On that basis alone I'd never book a property so restrictive. I don't want microwaves or even fridges but I do like the flexibility of quietly making an early morning coffee if I wake up early.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

as it is obviously my comments which have proved offensive I have to apologise, but the observations are based on 14yrs in the business, where now approx 85% of our guests are French speakers, with 10% Dutch/Flemish, 5% English speakers(inc Germans, Scandinavians, US, Australia etc) & I now have a pretty good working knowledge of the needs of these 4 groups - eg no way do I ever sit Flemish & French speaking Belgians at the same table - they just do not get on.... We also adjust our breakfasts according the nationalities - this w/end I have French, English & Dutch - the cake was eaten only by the French guests, the ham & cheese only by the Dutch & the cereals only by the British.....our experiences maybe are unique......but I seem to manage to provide exactly what each nationality requires if our reviews are anything to go by.....trying to cater to every individual who passes over our threshold is our desire, & our high percentage of regulars of all nationalities I would like to think proves that understanding peoples needs is something we are doing well..this market is constantly changing & getting more competitive - we all have to adjust so guests remember their stay with us for positive reasons
CSE

Post by CSE »

Pirou wrote: I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying. Are you saying that at your place, guests have no facilities for making a cup of tea or coffee?

If that is what you're saying well that's your decision of course but in 2017 not to be allowed a hot drink if one wakes up at 5am seems strange to me. On that basis alone I'd never book a property so restrictive. I don't want microwaves or even fridges but I do like the flexibility of quietly making an early morning coffee if I wake up early.
We have excellent beds and we have never had someone waking up at that sort of time. This is a relax and rest location not time to get up for work one.
petitbois wrote:as it is obviously my comments which have proved offensive I have to apologise, but the observations are based on 14yrs in the business,...........
Less then us. However it was not only you it is a runnign theme on this forum where owners like to run down or pidgin hole guests. We find that unacceptable, especially when you look at the world now and the strife that is caused by this.
A common theme in this information is marking out the negatives of a country. But how can you really do that?We are all humans, no matter where we live or come from we all act in different ways.We all like different things.

I think you have offend your Dutch guests. They also like hagelslag, oude kaas, pindakaas and not forgetting koffiemelk for breakfast.

Have you ever sat Argentines down with the British on the same table? We have done that they acted like any other normal human beings. :)
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

we have the opposite

after the first year when we purchased the property we changed the usage to what they call in german “ferienapartments” so all our apartments/rooms changed from the old style pension i.e providing breakfast ( B & B ) to putting kitchenettes in each apartment and making them studio style so each guest gets a bed,wardrobe, a sofa ( lounge area ) with tv a kitchenette with larder fridge , microwave , cooking hob ( 2 ring ) utensils coffee machine , kettle etc enough to make small meals & also a small table & chairs & of course an en suite shower room so all self contained we have 4 apartments all for 2 persons but a different size and price so guests can choose
we also as we are in a wine area put a wine rack that guests can purchase wine and a starter pack of tea, filter coffee milk portions etc after that they have to purchase for he supermarket
we also have a wine cellar and terrace and an additional wine fridge in the main hall area with pre child wine & sekt ( german champagne ) at reasonable prices
however we have been trading for 7 years now & this year for some reason we are constantly being asked do we do breakfast …ahhhhh No you have a kitchen !!! however i do now offer a breakfast kit to be placed in their fridge fresh rolls/bread delivered to their apartment daily ( if they cant be bothered to walk 5-7 minutes up the road to the bakery ) with the remainder of the ingredients ( from a per ordered list ) cheese ,meats ,jam,butter etc …) placed in their fridge on arrival

so they can enjoy breakfast at their leisure i even offer to lay a table on the shared terrace or garden so they can enjoy the outside

so you cant win !!!!

the reason for the original change of use was to offer each apartment their own ensuite

my unofficial answer would be yes stay in one of the local hotels with breakfast included and pay twice the price and have to have your breakfast between A-B ( times )

our main guests are German followed by Dutch , Belgians, English

and the requests this year seem to be across the board so not a particular country
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

casasantoestevo, I'm not here so much nowadays, but I will back up others who say you are being over sensitive here. No-one has said anything controversial or rude about the nationalities so really you're causing a problem where there was none. We are all different and if someone wants to tar me with a particular brush based on me being English then fortunately enough I have a sense of humour to know they don't mean it personally and if I don't fit the shoe, I simply won't wear it.

If you don't like what you read, can you bring yourself to scroll by rather than diving in and reprimanding everyone? It doesn't make for a pleasant atmosphere.

Only my humble opinion of course and with that I'm afraid I'm out of here again. :wink:
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Nemo wrote:
Only my humble opinion of course and with that I'm afraid I'm out of here again. :wink:
Oh Nemo, don't go... we miss you!
Pirou

Post by Pirou »

casasantoestevo wrote:We have excellent beds and we have never had someone waking up at that sort of time. This is a relax and rest location not time to get up for work one.
Hahaha! I know I'm new to L M H and I guess fair game for a bit of winding up, but unless your floors and walls are wafer thin so you can monitor every time guests turn over in bed or you have cameras in the bedrooms how do you know when people wake up? They tell you? People often say what they think you want to hear.

There are lots of reasons people (esp older people!) wake up early and it's not always to do with how good or bad the bed is. I wake early at home or away because I've never needed more than about 6 hours sleep anyway and nowadays that's agravated with back pain. Regardless of the excellence of the bed about 5-6 hours in it is my limit or I need painkillers which I try and avoid and I can avoid if I get vertical. I know from attending pain clinics that I'm not unusual. Anyway I don't mind waking early because a small pleasure for me is to sit peacefully with a book and a cuppa as dawn breaks and the world comes to life around me.

I do get that you just don't want to offer hot drinks-making for your guests and thats up to you but but if you've had people ask about it it is something people want or in 2017, even expect. The world moves on. Liking a hot drink on waking is not unusual and I'd never book somewhere where such a simple basic routine is denied to me. I'm probably sidetracking the topic so sorry about that everyone but being told how much time I'd want to spend in bed by someone who doesn't know me is daft.

As you also said: quote -
-- We are all humans, no matter where we live or come from we all act in different ways.We all like different things. --
Pirou

Post by Pirou »

Ecosse wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Oh Nemo, don't go... we miss you!
Seconded. You're one of my go to members for good advice!! I mean that if I see an opinion on a subject from you I know its worth considering. (There are many others I feel the same about of course because I did a lot of reading before I began posting and there's some great experience and customer oriented attitudes on this site.
farley

Post by farley »

Totally agree Pirou.
I've visited this forum , at least once a day , for many years. Nemo and other long term LMhatters have been a great source of sound advice and support for me.
I wish they'd all come back , at least once in a while.
Do hope they're listening.
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Getting back to the original topic, in the past we have been asked a couple of times to use the kitchen and it makes it unpleasant when you say no. We used to just have our main fridge which meant people would access our kitchen for their drinks or snacks. We now have a shared fridge on the landing for guests (too noisy to have them in the rooms) which keeps them out of our kitchen. We also have tea and coffee facilities in the rooms (just recently) but not always used (although this season there has been fewer guests!).
We have a picnic basket full of everything they would need which we let them take out or use if they want snacks on the terrace. Stops them asking for our plates, cutlery etc.
We have also now put a little note in the house folder telling people not to ask to use our kitchen or lounge which is our private area. We were watching TV one evenng when a couple walked in with wine tucked under their arm and announced they would sit there and drink - would not have minded so much if they had offered us a glass, but not a snifter!!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Pirou
Ever considered that maybe people who have your problems are not the same for everyone? It is the same as classing everyone from a country into the little boxes. It is like saying if you drive such and such a brand of car your are a certain character. A really futile exercise.

I do not know of one Parador that has tea making facilities. The one nearest us you even have to pay for parking.

Seeing as you are so new to this forum my suggestion is that you come out of hiding and post the link to your business that way we can all see what you are doing and maybe learn from your great expertise.
Sam V
Location: Villa in Gale, Algarve, Portugal. At home in Fetcham, Surrey, UK

Post by Sam V »

We've had an Argentinian at our dinner table with his British girlfriend, lovely couple. We've also had Germans, they are all very tall, like a lot of salt on their food and have a great sense of humour. I like a cup of coffee when I wake up. Sorry to offend
TA lurkers walk among us; the LMH Walking Dead

dont mess in the affairs of cats for they are subtle and will p on your computer.

www.algarvevillatrinity.co.uk
www.facebook.com/villatrinity
www.gardenerscottage.promotemyplace.com
CSE

Post by CSE »

We carter for a more salubrious type of holiday maker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9p7fD8-hOE

Sorry did not mean to offend.