Pricing help please

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
emmavix

Pricing help please

Post by emmavix »

Hi

Sorry, very newbie issue but I am really struggling with pricing. We have a 6 bedroom cottage that can sleep 12 - 16 (possibly more but we can seat 16 at dining tables & in lounges so that seems a sensible max). It's an ongoing project, outside is a bit shabby but will take a few more months to finish & we could do with seeing if we can get some income over the summer. The cottage is also next door to our house/business which is a HUGE renovation project so also a but untidy & in need of some work.

Consequently we want to set the prices lower than market value and explain that this is because the cottage is an ongoing project & the price reflects the condition (rather than price too high & have people complain). There aren't many large cottages near us so we hope we'd have some appeal because of the cottage size.

I have been warned that this could attract the wrong kind of customer but I'm not sure how else we can be honest & not get disappointed customers.

Also, I am unsure whether I should offer a price for 8 or 10 visitors (8 would mean we use 4 bedrooms & could close off a section of the cottage effectively) and then have an additional price per person per night up to 16. That way, if people are looking for something smaller they can pay less. Is that a silly idea? The main listing sites seem to offer that as an option.

I'm also planning to let for whole weeks only in school holidays & do 3 night/4 night breaks outside this period.

Any advice gratefully received.

Em
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Why not establish a blog which shows the ongoing work? You could put a link on your website to this.

Many people would be interested to follow the progress and it may get you bookings. People love seeing the photos and the issues you have to address (I only wish I had done this when we got our cottage).

Thie blog would help you to explain why your pricing structure is what it is at the moment.
emmavix

Post by emmavix »

Thanks, Zebedee, that's a good idea.
jazzuk777

Post by jazzuk777 »

How about closing off some rooms and renovate the rest first. Market as a 3 bed to begin with for example, then only as a 6 bed when you can get to them?
Small Victorian terrace in Caister let to friends and family
emmavix

Post by emmavix »

The rooms are all renovated already, with the exception of one that we will lock off until it's finished, it's just the outside of the building that isn't finished. That should actually be done in the next few weeks but the issue will remain that there's a renovation project next door!
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

Are you able to suspend and noisy parts of the renovation when the cottage is occupied? I doubt many people would be happy with the levels of noise that often go with renovation projects.
emmavix

Post by emmavix »

There's no work at the moment, so no noise, we live next door & the building is an ongoing project. The work is cosmetic, the outside of the building needs painting, drainpipes etc. replacing & it will be done when there are no guests around & once we've completed other work inside. My concern is just around pricing appropriately to reflect the setting. I don't really want to add photos of the building next door in case it puts people off but I also want to find a way to explain about it.
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

Probably the blog suggestion earlier is the way to go then.