How far ahead do French and German guests book?

Up, down, could be better? How to get more bookings is our number one obsession. Talk shop here.
Jenster

How far ahead do French and German guests book?

Post by Jenster »

I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that typically French and German guests book their holidays later than English guests, but can't find the thread now. Have I remembered this right? I am trying to work out when to target my advertising to those markets for greatest effect. Thanks :)
Giuliano

Re: How far ahead do French and German guests book?

Post by Giuliano »

Jenster wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that typically French and German guests book their holidays later than English guests, but can't find the thread now. Have I remembered this right? I am trying to work out when to target my advertising to those markets for greatest effect. Thanks :)
in April I had two bookings from German guests for May and June 2018...
Generally, in my experience, they book well ahead. The bulk of my summer bookings from Germany was made between December and January.
Pirou

Post by Pirou »

I just deleted a post because much of what I wrote you've already done Jenster (I just didn't see your language option on your website straightaway)

But I will say that French people seem to book holidays in france a few months in advance but they don't have to consider expensive ferry crossings the way British guests do. Also round here, there are plenty of 2 beds (or more) sleeps 4 (or more) properties so for French guests there'll be no sense of missing out if you don't book early because another property will come along in a minute!!

You've got the reverse effect so I would expect French people planning to holiday in England would book early as its more of a trek for them. German people may choose to fly rather than drive so having "how to get here" from the mainland continent info on your website may be useful if it's not there already.

Thinking of French friends and acquaintances who've gone on holiday in England (usually London) they've started planning way in advance and they've had accommodation booked 3 or 4 months in advance. And they've planned out where to go and what to do. It's not spontaneous or last minute at all.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I'd second what Pirou has said and would only add that if they feel the need, the French are perfectly capable of booking months in advance. We traditionally have New Year booked by May (the exception being this year, but I think that's to do with the lack of snow last ny) because they know that they'll lose out if they don't get in quick. Our advertising is therefore all in place by April for the next winter.

Hence, I would err on the side of caution: after all, it's not going to harm your bookings if you get the info out a little earlier than you normally wood.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks for the replies, very useful. I have a couple of weeks free in Sept/Oct but am mainly booking for 2018 now...I will prob start advertising soon and do it every couple of months till I'm full. Good point about them booking early because of ferry crossings and I hadn't thought to update my getting there section to be more internationally focused so thanks :)