Launderette costs.

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
bluebell

Launderette costs.

Post by bluebell »

Hello,

I use a local launderette to collect all my laundry, wash, dry and iron it.

I seem to be charged about 90 euros for 4 bedrooms ( sheets, pillowcases and towels) and 75 euros when only 3 bedrooms are used. Does this not seem a little excessive?

Looking forward to your comments.[/code]
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Here in rural France I pay about 50 Euros for washing, drying and ironing sheets and duvet covers for four single beds and one double. I do the pillowcases and all towels myself and charge for my time/costs at the rate for a couple of hours.

I have to deliver the linen and collect it.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

We're in Ibiza, where it's more expensive than most areas of Spain for things, and for 4 bedroomed villa (4 singles, 2 doubles) not including pillowcases or towels which we do ourselves, we pay €25. We also deliver and collect.

Mouse
x
Circé

Post by Circé »

Here we have a common problem of comparing prices in one country or area with another, plus you haven't specified exactly what linen.
How many single & double sheets, duvet cases & pillowcases?
Mattress protectors?
Pillow protectors?
Size & N° of towels?
T towels?
Bathmats?
bluebell

Post by bluebell »

Yes, Circe, your are right, I thought about it after posting my message - it is not correct to compare one country with another so probably I just need to have a chat with the launderette that I use.

Spanish prices are a lot cheaper than Greece but I believe that a big factor is that the launderettes have a lot more volume there... and a lot more competition!

I do have a lot of linen each time:-

6 double sheets, 4 single sheets, 8 pillow cases, 16 towels, 4 tea towels... and sometimes 4 bed covers, 6 mattress protectors.

I would feel a little bit better if the price was around the 60 euros mark rather than closer to 100 euros. but she does do an excellent job.
Circé

Post by Circé »

I'm sure you would feel better at around 60 euros, but you wouldn't get that lot done here, SW France, collected & delivered, by a business operation for that. 90-100 euros would be nearer the mark for your basic list, with someone delivering it to the laundry and collecting it.
Plus here their turnaround time (bearing in mind they don't work Sundays and many close on Mondays) can be a pain, and then some of them shut in August.
COYS

Post by COYS »

bluebell wrote:Yes, Circe, your are right, I thought about it after posting my message - it is not correct to compare one country with another so probably I just need to have a chat with the launderette that I use.

Spanish prices are a lot cheaper than Greece but I believe that a big factor is that the launderettes have a lot more volume there... and a lot more competition!

I do have a lot of linen each time:-

6 double sheets, 4 single sheets, 8 pillow cases, 16 towels, 4 tea towels... and sometimes 4 bed covers, 6 mattress protectors.

I would feel a little bit better if the price was around the 60 euros mark rather than closer to 100 euros. but she does do an excellent job.
That's fair pile of washing to collect, wash, dry & iron & (deliver?) 90 euro doesn't sound excessive to me.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

We use a hotel laundry service that supply the sheets they charge:
1.41€HT per double sheet, 1.30€HT per single sheet & between 0.50-0.60 per pillow case.
No charge for delivery & picked up works out between 80-100€ per change over for our 4 places (10 bedrooms)
Zur Alten Weinkelter

Post by Zur Alten Weinkelter »

Here in germany for sheets,duvet covers pillowcases to wash & Iron i get charged by the kilo currently 1.75€ then if i want to give them my towels small .0.50 € large 0.80 ( this includes collection & delivery ) but i have the option to drop off & pick up myself ( but no reimbursment )
And as all my bedding and towels are white it works for me
When it comes to wine, I tell people to invest in a good corkscrew. The best way to learn about wine is the drinking

The truth is the best German wine remains in Germany
So forget your memories of Blue Nun & Black Tower
bluebell

Post by bluebell »

The launderette charges to collect and deliver - 8 euros each way. Looking at averages I am paying about 22 euros per room. Not a great deal, I am thinking!
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

After 12 years, we are still washing, drying and ironing everything ourselves. Looking at what laundrettes charge, it seems that we have saved quite a bit, although it is exhausting, especially when we have two changeovers a week sometimes.

We end up often having to wash 20 single sheets, 20 single duvet covers, 24 pillow cases, 2 king-size sheets, 48 hand and bath towels, 24 face flannels, up to 4 sofa throw overs (especially if pets and children have been to stay) and another 16 tea cloths/towels, washing up cloths and hand towels for the loos. It takes up to 14 full (8 kg) washing machine loads to get it all washed, using just over 2 kg in washing powder per week. We have converted a very long corridor in our own home (which we hardly use for anything) into a 'Chinese laundry' and have 4x 12-foot washing lines to cope with it all, although use a condenser dryer for the towels and any throw overs that need cleaning.
We have two steam generator irons (because they have the habit of often breaking down and end up being away for a while when they are sent for repair). We normally iron our own clothes at the same time, so are mostly chained to the ironing board for the good part of a day. Netflix does though come in handy at that time in order to catch up on a few series.... :lol:
bluebell

Post by bluebell »

Oh my gosh Anglo Dutch.... I bow down to you. That is a whole business operation in itself (!)If I were near to my rental home I would also definitely do everything if I had the hours free.